Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables
If you are not sure how to cook rice I will give you a quick low down on my favorite Japanese way of cooking rice or at least how it was explained to me. Use twice the amount of water as rice. bring the water to a rapid boil add a bit of olive oil or butter to the water and then stir in the rice and bring back to a boil. Once boiling stir one last time lower the heat to about low and place a lid on the pot. (Hint a heavy gauge pot is best I have a heavy cast aluminum one I use and a tight fitting lid of equal gauge). Allow to cook WITHOUT removing the lid for thirteen minutes, remove from the heat and do not take off the lid for five minutes “this is important to leave the lid on” after five minutes is up remove the lid and fluff up with a fork. That is the quick answer.
Now there are other methods of cooking rice such as the microwave, steaming and rice cookers. All depends on what you feel most comfortable with just don’t use that minute crap. It is worst then instant mashed potatoes in my opinion. The texture for something like this will be all wrong. Now if you are health conscientious you could sub out the white rice for brown or wild rice, I personally am not a fan of the texture of brown rice I know it is better for us but it just doesn’t feel right in my mouth.
I also know that albacore tuna is more expensive then chunk light and in my opinion there is a reason for that it is not as good chunk light that is. If I am going to use tuna I want the better quality (or tasting) one in my recipes once again if you can’t bring yourself to pay for albacore you could use chuck light just know that quality in my opinion will suffer. I am a big believer in buy the better ingredients if you want better outcome from any recipe will do better with better quality stuff going into it.
- 5 cups cooked Dynasty Jasmine Rice
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 large or 2 small can albacore solid white tuna
- 1 can whole kernel corn, rinsed
- 1 can baby leseur peas, drained
- 1 small can black olives, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- ½ cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (your preference)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons La Morena Jalapeno Peppers (adjust to personal preference for heat)
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cook the rice by your favorite rice cooking method and allow to cool on the side before adding in the other ingredients.
- In a large glass bowl combine all the salad ingredients and mix well until everything is totally incorporated with one another.
- When all blended pour the dressing onto the salad and give it a mix to coat everything with dressing.
- Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator and allow to chill for two hours or more make sure to cover the bowl so you don't pick up fridge odors.
- Remove from fridge and either put the bowl on the table to serve family style or place some in individual salad bowls.
- Garnish with a bit of fresh cilantro (optional).
- Add pepper to taste.
- Place all you dressing ingredients into a blender and turn it on high until well blended.
There are many rice salad combos you can try and rice salad isn’t the first thing many Americans think of first but it really is a nice way to use either leftover rice or even use fresh rice. In this recipe I marry it with a spicy Mexican dressing to liven it up a bit as with any Mexican inspired dish adjust the chilies to your liking so it isn’t too hot for you or up if you like firehouse kind of heat. This is really a salad that would make a nice lunch as it has a bit of everything in it so it is a full balanced dish all by itself, no need for any additions.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3322 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3288 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3128 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2644 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2400 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2368 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2326 Views)