Gourmet Romaine Salad Recipes
This delicious salad features bell pepper and walnuts for crunch, as well as various other ingredients for flavor. You can either chop or tear romaine, but it is almost always better to tear it. Not only does this mean a more rustic appearance but also tearing it is better for the romaine, since chopping it with a steel knife can make it turn brown quickly. This is why bagged salad does not last very long. Buy a couple of whole fresh romaine lettuces and tear them up by hand for the best results.
This romaine salad features two kinds of cheese, parmesan, and mozzarella, for two distinct flavors, as well as black olives for saltiness and black grapes for sweetness. The walnut vinaigrette is made with walnut oil, as well as olive oil, and two kinds of vinegar. Using two kinds of oil and two kinds of vinegar gives a rich flavor and more depth to this vinaigrette, and the flavor complements the salad beautifully.
Many gourmet romaine salad recipes feature nuts, because the romaine makes a great base for a salad, and then typical salad ingredients like cucumber, onion and celery are added too, but it is often nice to add nuts because nothing else adds such a satisfying crunch. If you are keen on romaine, then try this appetizing recipe.
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 6 oz shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup black grapes
- 5 thinly sliced radishes
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- ½ cup walnut halves
- 2 heads torn romaine lettuce
- 2 oz parmesan shavings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 3½ tablespoons walnut oil
- ½ tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk all the vinaigrette ingredients together, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the walnut halves on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Transfer them to a small bowl and add 1½ tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- Toss lightly and let the nut mixture stand for 15 minutes.
- Put the torn romaine in a large bowl.
- Add the cheese, bell pepper, radishes, grapes, olives, and marinated walnuts.
- Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Toss well and divide between 6 chilled individual plates.
Romaine salad recipes are always popular at restaurants and perhaps you have a favorite one. Caesar salad is usually made with romaine and this type of lettuce can be grilled or sautéed, unlike many other kinds. So if you want to make this into a warm salad, lightly sauté the romaine instead of using it raw. This is a flavorful salad which makes a lovely lunch or light dinner. It features all kinds of flavors from sweet to salty, as well as various textures from crunchy to soft, offering a well-balanced taste and consistency. This delicious salad is easy to make and the toasted walnut halves make it extra special.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16864 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8891 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3360 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3312 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3169 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2673 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2541 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2460 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2430 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2418 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2390 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2348 Views)