Marinated Beef Salad with Grapes and Red Onion
The tangy beef and sweet grapes contrast beautifully in this unusual salad. Swap the grapes for fresh pomegranate seeds or olives if you like. The sumac, allspice, parsley and garlic add plenty of wonderful flavor to this salad, and the juicy steak is marinated for four hours to tenderize and flavor it. This salad works as a lunch or evening meal, rather than an appetizer or side dish, because the lentils, beef and other ingredients make it hearty and satisfying.
This is a very flavorful and original way to cook porterhouse steaks. Swap them for your favorite cut of steak if you prefer, but if you are using something naturally lean and tender then only marinate it for 30 minutes or so, else the meat might go mushy.
You can serve the steak warm, at room temperature or chilled, but do let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes after cooking, to allow the juices to redistribute, thereby tenderizing it further. Also ensure you cut the steak against the grain (so, 90 degrees from the ‘lines’ you see running across the meat) because then it will be falling-apart soft instead of stringy.
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- ¼ bunch chopped parsley
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- Pinch of ground allspice
- 2 porterhouse steaks, ½ lb each
- ½ cup green lentils
- 7 oz halved green grapes
- ½ thinly sliced red onion
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Stir together ½ the extra-virgin olive oil with the pomegranate syrup, 2 cloves of garlic, ½ the lemon juice and some salt and black pepper.
- Rub this mixture over the beef and marinate for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Put the lentils in a pan, cover them with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the lentils and set aside.
- Toss the lentils, most of the onion and the parsley together.
- Combine the remaining lemon juice with the remaining garlic and oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper then toss with the lentil mixture.
- Drain the marinade off the beef and cook over a hot grill for 3 or 4 minutes per side, or in a heavy skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Let the beef rest for 5 minutes, then slice it against the grain.
- Divide the lentil mixture between 4 bowls, then top with the beef, grapes and remaining onion.
This well-flavored steak salad recipe has a wonderful flavor and the ingredients all go together so well. Serve it with sour cream or yogurt for added contrast, or simply as it is. The photo shows how colorful and appealing this recipe is, and you can imagine how filling and tasty it is. The whole family is sure to love this, especially if you serve it in the summer when the weather is warm and they still want their red meat but not necessarily a piping hot dinner. Salads are always refreshing but this one offers a refreshing flavor as well as being filling and hearty, so you get the best of both worlds when you choose this recipe.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8831 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3328 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3294 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3135 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2514 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2439 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2411 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2371 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2330 Views)