Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Citrus Dressing
This grilled flank steak salad recipe makes enough for four meal-sized portions. Combining perfectly seasoned, grilled steak with salad leaves and a ginger citrus dressing, this recipe makes an impressive lunch or dinner. Flank steak is tougher than some other cuts of steak (hence the lower price) but highly flavorful and, if cooked correctly, it can be melt-in-the-mouth tender.
Flank steak can be cooked to medium-rare, medium or (if you must) well done. The more you cook it the tougher it will get so for the best results aim for medium-rare or below, if that appeals to you. It is important to let the cooked steak rest for ten or fifteen minutes so the juices can redistribute. If you cut the steak immediately after cooking it, it will be less juicy and less tender. You can let it rest while you divide the shredded lettuce between the serving plates and give the dressing a stir.
The citrus ginger dressing suits the beef flavor beautifully. You might want to use freshly squeezed fruit juice for the best results. Feel free to swap the pineapple juice for orange juice, if you like, or to swap the mandarin orange segments for chopped fresh pineapple chunks.
- 1 lb flank steak
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded salad leaves
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ small can mandarin orange segments, drained
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together except the mandarin orange segments.
- Stir in the mandarin orange segments and refrigerate the dressing until required.
- Preheat a gas grill to moderately hot and grease the grate with oiled paper towels.
- Combine the salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder and rub this over both sides of the steak.
- Grill the steak covered for 5 minutes per side (for medium rare) or until it is done to your liking.
- Remove the steak from the grill and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Divide the salad leaves between 4 serving plates.
- Add the mandarin orange segments.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain and add it to the plates.
- Drizzle half the dressing over the salads and serve the remainder on the side.
Steak salad recipes are great for lunch or dinner and there is no reason why you cannot top a chilled plateful of salad leaves and other salad ingredients with warm and delicious steak strips and colorful mandarin orange segments like in this mouthwatering photo. This recipe is done on a grill for great results. You can use a gas grill or a charcoal one. Flank steak should be cooked fast for the best results, so give it five minutes per side and then ten minutes resting time. You can tell by the way the meat feels whether it is rare, medium, or well done. The firmer it feels, the more cooked it is. Ten minutes total over a moderately hot grill is enough for medium-rare.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3325 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3290 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2409 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)