Strawberry Spinach Salad with Pecans
The following recipe for strawberry spinach salad combines the sweetness of strawberries with the crunch of pecans and the tart flavor of green apples (if you want to use those in there) along with the creaminess of feta or bleu cheese. The sour cream-based dressing goes really well with the different flavors and textures in the salad. This recipe could be served as an appetizer or lunch and it is colorful as well as delicious. You can serve it alone or on a bed of salad leaves (perhaps you would like to choose a pale green lettuce, for a good color contrast with the dark green spinach).
This is a great way to use up fruit and you can swap the sour cream dressing for an oil and citrus one if you prefer. Some people like the creaminess of a sour cream or mayonnaise-based homemade salad dressing recipe and others prefer the astringency of something with lemon juice or lime juice, as well as perhaps oil and vinegar. It is up to you which you go for. Try using walnuts instead of pecans if you like them more, or exchange the apple for cheese or hard-boiled egg. Apples go brown when the flesh is exposed so you can either soak the chopped apple in lime juice or lemon juice or make the salad immediately before serving it.
Maybe you have used spinach and strawberries to make tasty salads before or perhaps you are more accustomed to making potato salad, chicken salad recipes, or your favorite tuna salad recipe. Whatever the case, there is no doubt the following recipe is healthy, nutritious and really flavorful, as well as simple to prepare. You will need to chop the fruit, lightly toast the pecan halves if they are not already done and tear up the spinach. It goes without saying you should use fresh spinach for this recipe. Frozen spinach is for cooking, not using in spinach salad recipes.
- 1 lb fresh torn spinach
- Granny Smith apple, cut into thin strips (optional)
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- ⅓ cup lightly toasted pecan halves
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- ⅛ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter (or cooking oil)
- ¼ cup crumbled feta or bleu cheese
- ½ cup dairy sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 package of salad leaves, to serve
- Saute the onion with the sugar in the butter or oil over a very low heat until golden brown and very tender, then let
- Toss the spinach with the caramelized onion, apple (if using), strawberries and pecans.
- Stir the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together and blend in the sour cream gradually.
- Pour the dressing over the spinach mixture and toss.
- Serve immediately, with feta or bleu cheese sprinkled on top.
You can imagine how delicious this strawberry spinach salad is, because of the range of textures and flavors it offers. This colorful dish makes a great appetizer or lunch and you could also serve it alongside grilled steak or chicken or serve it at a buffet or potluck supper. Strawberry spinach salad does not take long to make and the combination of fruits, vegetables, and nuts means it is nutritious as well as really tasty. There are not a lot of ingredients in this delicious strawberry and spinach salad and it is suitable for complete beginners to make.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8799 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3317 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3125 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2640 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2507 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2433 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2404 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2367 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2324 Views)