Spinach and Grapefruit Salad with Cranberries
This spinach salad recipe has a clean, fresh flavor and is worlds apart from creamy types of salad like egg salad recipes or most potato salad recipes. Sometimes it is nice to enjoy a creamy salad but at other times you might fancy something sharper-tasting and more healthy. The pink grapefruit, melon, and cranberries add fruitiness and the dressing is very simple yet goes beautifully with this spinach salad recipe. Pink grapefruit has a different flavor from yellow grapefruit although you could use that instead if you prefer.
Cranberries are available fresh or dried and this recipe calls for fresh ones which have a tart flavor. Use dried ones if you have them though; they would work just as nicely. If you want to, you can add a pinch of white sugar to the dressing. Even if you do not normally sweeten your salad dressing recipes you might find it necessary to add more honey to this one, or the sugar, because the combination of tart cranberries and bittersweet grapefruit is too tart for many palates.
The grapefruit is related to the Jamaican sweet orange, which came from an Asian hybrid. Grapefruit is also related to the Indonesian pomelo. It is believed by some that pomelo seeds were introduced to Jamaica and that is how grapefruits came about. Grapefruits were introduced to Florida in 1823 and various crossbreeds, including the tangelo, the Minneola tangelo, and the oroblanco, have been produced. Pink grapefruits made their first appearance in 1906 and the growing season for grapefruit runs from October until June.
- 2 pink grapefruits
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 4 oz fresh spinach
- ¼ cubed melon (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Remove the skin and white pith from the grapefruits, using a sharp knife, and discard them.
- Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, working over a bowl to catch the juice.
- Measure out ⅔ of the grapefruit juice and put it in the blender.
- Add the vinegar, oil, honey, mustard, and garlic and blend until creamy.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Toss the spinach with the cranberries, melon, and grapefruit segments.
- Drizzle the dressing over the spinach salad and toss.
This is a fresh, crisp salad which makes a healthy lunch, or a nice side dish or appetizer. Eating fruit and vegetables is good for you but it is only really ever easy when you can make those fruits or veggies into something tasty, which is the whole point of this fruity spinach salad recipe. Whether you use baby spinach or regular spinach, this is a very nice dish, and you can use fresh or dried cranberries, as well as your favorite kind of melon, and pink grapefruit segments. This healthy, nutritious, and colorful spinach salad recipe is packed with vitamins and minerals and it makes a great lunch.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8805 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3319 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3125 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2641 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2510 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2405 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2367 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2324 Views)