Red Onion and Spinach Salad with a Piquant Dressing
This simple yet delicious spinach salad recipe combines spinach, red onion, hard-boiled eggs, and croutons with a delicious homemade salad dressing recipe. The salad dressing contains such delights as curry powder, garlic, soy sauce, mustard and more, for a rich and complex finish. Combining a simple salad with a complex dressing works just as well as combining a complex salad with a basic two or three-ingredient dressing. Problems arise if you try to combine a simple salad with a simple dressing (this works sometimes but other times the resulting salad is rather dull) or when you combine a complex salad with a complex dressing (unless you are very careful to match the flavors, the salad will have too many different flavors going on, and it will not work).
This spinach salad recipe is easy to make and the dressing elevates the basic salad to a high level, making an outstanding appetizer, lunch, or side dish. You can either buy or make the croutons. If you are making them, trim the crusts off your bread and cut the bread into little cubes. Then toss the cubes in oil and add some dried herbs if you like. Arrange them on a baking tray and cook them in a warm oven until they are crisp. Store any unused ones in an airtight container.
Feel free to switch some of the ingredients for others, if you want. This applies to most spinach salad recipes. If you want to add another kind of salad leaf to the mix, you can do that, or you can add tomatoes or pickles. A word of warning about this one though – the dressing contains so many flavors that adding cheese or something creamy to this spinach salad recipe will probably not work well. A good tip is to keep the salad basic and focus on making the dressing perfectly because the dressing is the heart of this wonderful meal.
- 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
- ½ sliced red onion
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- Handful of croutons
- ¼ cup wine vinegar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Wash the spinach and tear the leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Toss it with the red onion and chopped eggs.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and scatter the croutons over it.
This colorful spinach salad recipe features hard-boiled eggs and red onion slices, as well as crispy croutons. A lot of the flavor comes from the fantastic dressing though and you can either toss the salad with the dressing (before adding the croutons) or you can serve it on the side. You could even toss some of the dressing in with the salad and serve the remainder on the side, because some people like more dressing than others do. This flavorful salad is lovely as a lunch or side dish or you could even serve it with a poached or grilled chicken breast or a juicy steak.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3324 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3288 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)