Creamy Spinach, Egg, and Onion Salad
Like many of the other green vegetables, spinach is flavorful and nutritious whether it is cooked or raw. Wilt it with hot water to use as a garnish or tear the spinach apart and use it in place of lettuce. With the incredible number of recipes calling for greens, there will always be an opportunity to make a different and delicious salad combination that the family and guests will appreciate and enjoy. Even a few shreds or leaves will add that deeper color you want to be evident in the salad.
Not only is spinach an ideal candidate for basic salad recipes, it goes well with the more complex recipes as well. Red goes with green and to back that up, try strawberries, raspberries, or cherries in a spinach salad. Other crunchy ingredients like dry oriental noodles, cucumbers, and pecans are also good additions to salads with spinach. Whether it is baby spinach or regular spinach you want to try, either one is delicious. Use salads with spinach as side dishes, appetizers or the main feature at lunchtime.
Perhaps a family recipe for cooked spinach includes a whole or cut up boiled egg. The two ingredients have had a long relationship for years and you will often run across a recipe for an omelette featuring spinach. Creating a creamy salad with egg, spinach, and green onion is easy to do and if you already have hardboiled eggs in the refrigerator, you will have the salad done in no time at all. The dressing is mayonnaise with a bit of milk or cream. If you are in the mood for something a bit sweeter, add a tablespoon of granulated sugar or sugar substitute when you are making the dressing.
- 6 hardboiled eggs
- 2 bunches fresh green spinach
- 3 green onions with stalks
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup cream (use milk, if desired, and reduce the amount by 2 tablespoons)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Unband the spinach and cut off the bottom, so the spinach is loose. Wash the pieces and lay them in a cookie sheet lined with paper towels to dry.
- Crack and peel the hardboiled eggs, removing all pieces of the shell. Use an egg slicer to slice each egg and a sharp knife to cut the eggs across into chunks. Put the pieces in a medium bowl.
- Shred or rip the spinach into pieces, dropping the pieces in with the eggs.
- Wash the onions and trim the top and bottom. Slice the stalks into quarter inch pieces and the bulbs into thin slices. Add the onions to the bowl with the spinach and egg.
- Gently toss the ingredients of the bowl until mixed together.
- Combine the mayonnaise, cream (or milk) and sugar (or sugar substitute) in a small bowl or cup. Use a fork or whisk to combine the dressing and add salt and pepper to taste. Once it is blended, add to the salad, and gently stir to cover the ingredients with dressing.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. This is a salad that is best served in a shallow bowl for each person, since the edge provides the backing needed to get the egg and spinach on the fork for eating.
Imagine creating this delightful egg salad, easy to put together quickly and enjoy. Sliced green onions, hardboiled egg and shredded spinach blend together with a mixture of mayonnaise and cream to create a creamy salad full of health and good taste. No simple salad plate for this starter or quick lunch will do. Use a beautiful shallow salad bowl for each person and fill it high so that everyone gets a good portion of this incredible edible work of art. Adding salt and pepper to taste is a great finish to this delightful salad just perfect for lunch or dinner.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8799 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3315 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3285 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3122 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2638 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2506 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2432 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2403 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2366 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2323 Views)