The Perfect Homemade Coleslaw
Typical coleslaw uses shredded or cut cabbage, although there are people who use shredded broccoli instead. Dressings vary between creamy and vinegar-based, usually with a tang and a sweetness combined within the dressing. Other ingredients such as carrots, raisins, apples, onions, marshmallows and nuts combine to make a special blend of unique and unusual taste. Any color of bell pepper gives more color to the salad and when it comes right down it, imagination is the only limitation to the combination. Even olives are welcomed additions to coleslaw. If you are in a hurry, pick up a package of ready to mix coleslaw in the produce section at your local grocery store or supermarket.
When you get home search for things to add to the coleslaw kit that will make it more special. Pineapple chunks, chopped apples and walnuts or pecans are always great additions. Think about different types of coleslaw and the ingredients that set them apart. It is fun to be creative and make even a ready-to-make salad unique for the occasion. One important thing is to be sure the coleslaw is cold, since that keeps the vegetables crisp and crunchy.
The dressing has a lot of variety, as well. Some people like horseradish in the dressing. Others use salad dressing rather than mayonnaise because of the extra sweetness. There are even recipes for coleslaw dressing that use Worcestershire sauce, barbeque sauce, or catsup. Whenever cooks start creating, the results are amazing and sometimes quite surprising. It is what makes the family return to the table and inspires requests for repeats of certain foods. Think of the different fast food restaurants that serve coleslaw with their combination.
- 1 large head light green cabbage
- ¼ head purple cabbage
- ½ red bell pepper
- 3 stalks celery
- ½ Walla Walla onion
- 2 carrots
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup pineapple chunks, drained
- ⅛ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 bottle or jar of prepared coleslaw dressing
- As always, rinse the vegetables before preparation and dry them on paper towels.
- Dispose of any damaged leaves and the hard core of the green cabbage. Cut the cabbage into thick strips and place it into a large clear salad bowl. Do the same with the purple cabbage.
- Remove the seeds from the red bell pepper and cut it into small pieces. Add to the bowl that is holding the cabbage pieces.
- Peel the onion and trim the top and bottom. Chop it into small portions and put the pieces in the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Trim the top and bottom of the celery. Place the celery on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to slice the celery diagonally into thin pieces. Add it to the bowl.
- Peel and shred the carrots, putting the shreds in the bowl, cover the bowl and shake to mix the ingredients.
- Add the pineapple, raisins, celery seed, and coconut. Put in the dressing until there is enough to satisfy your family. Mix the coleslaw and dressing to coat all ingredients. Cover and place in refrigerator to chill. Serve when ready.
Serve this coleslaw in a crystal salad bowl to show off the combination of colors and design. The family will admire the mix and guest will enjoy the incredible colors. Start with shredded carrots that are blended with shredded white and light green cabbage, as well as just a hint of purple cabbage. The finely diced parsley combines with the mix, adding a deeper green to the blend. Celery seed adds a different bit of flavor. A traditional slaw dressing mix is used for the dressing and onions are sliced thin horizontally and separated into individual pieces around the top.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8793 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3315 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3285 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3120 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2637 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2505 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2431 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2401 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2365 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2323 Views)