Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad
Now you can make this salad with a sharp knife instead of a mandolin if you have really good knife skills feel free but most of us will not get the consistency of thickness in the slice that make this salad really work. You want the cucumber slices very thin as this works best with the marinade used to impart flavor into the cucumbers. Now a small note this does take a bit of for thought as it is best marinated overnight so the cucumbers soak up the marinade flavor. Also cucumbers are best served chilled in my opinion they get a nicer crispness to them this goes for pickles too.
Now the dressing and salad is very similar to one mom made when I was growing up that we all loved I have given the dressing my own little spin (I use white wine vinegar mom used red or apple cider) I prefer the white it has a more delicate taste. Go figure me delicate (I grew up with three brothers) not likely. If you don’t have a mandolin you can see my reviews at my review site and figure out which is right for you, it really is a handy kitchen tool.
As for the salad it is really good with steak, and also good for a cookout or picnic salad. Frankly this is one of my husband’s favorite summer salads it is really simple but the onion and the cucumber work well together. Now you can make this with regular cucumbers if you prefer and feel free to use a sweet onion or whatever onion you like best they all work well in their own special ways. To serve you will want to use a slotted spoon as there is more marinade than it really needs. It is mainly to coat and soak in not so much as an actual dressing like normal salad dressing is.
- 2 English cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- ½ cup Mantova Italian White Wine Vinegar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- In a small glass bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- With a sharp knife remove the ends of the cucumber then using a mandolin slicer set on its thinnest setting carefully slice both cucumbers as thin as possible.
- Peel the onions outer skin and cut the ends off and repeat the above process.
- Place this in a large glass bowl and toss to mix then pour the marinade over the top and season this with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste and toss until everything is well coated and place in the refrigerator to marinate overnight toss as often as possible to cover everything during the process.
- Serve using a slotted spoon as you will have excess marinade not needed to serve the salad.
There are many recipes for cucumber salad and most feature few ingredients with the two most common being cucumber of course and the other being onion. They usual get treated to one of two kinds of dressing either a yogurt and dill combination or as in this case an oil and vinegar treatment. Both dressings have their place and depending on the main course one might be a better choice than the other. In this recipe I opted for a version of a dressing my mom use to make with oil and vinegar and give it my own little spin, sorry mom.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16844 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8790 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3313 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3283 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3119 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2635 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2505 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2430 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2400 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2365 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2323 Views)