One of the Best Greek Salad Recipes with Peach Almond Dressing
It is always a delight to have a good salad with any meal and when it is a different variety than usual, such as a Greek salad recipe, and then it is very special. Escarole is an interesting salad green to add to salads because of its unique taste. Escarole is a member of the chicory family. The outer leaves have the bite associated with chicory, but less than other endives. The leaves are crinkly, so add an interesting display in the salad. The interesting part is the flavor and color. Outer leaves are dark green and bitter. As you sort the leaves to the center, the color is lighter and the bitterness lessened.
One of the nicest things about making different salads is that it lets your family have the experience of more than the standard lettuce and tomato salad, which is easy to make, but is more welcome when a bit more is added to it. This is easy to see at a salad bar, where many people actually skip the lettuce and add tomatoes, beans and other greens to their plates instead. Different vegetables, such as peppers, corn, olives, cucumbers and zucchini, make an interesting combination, and everyone knows that vegetables are very healthy.
All salads gain taste with different herbs and spices. Unless your family is used to strong and spicy, add herbs and seasonings a bit at a time. An eighth of a teaspoon of oregano or cinnamon might not seem like much, but the intense flavor pervades throughout the dish and can seem overwhelming. Green vegetables are good to add to salad because they just look like they belong in the mix. Fruits add a delicious flavor, also, adding more enjoyment to creating a wonderful salad for lunch or dinner.
- 3 cucumbers
- ½ cup green olives, drained
- 6 Roma tomatoes cut into 8 slices vertically
- 2 bunches escarole
- 1 can sliced peaches (drain, but save the liquid)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 sprigs coriander
- 4 slices feta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Liquid from the peaches
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Wash all the vegetables. Leave the peel on the cucumbers and slice them thin. Put the slices in a large bowl and add the green olives.
- Cut each Roma tomatoes into 8 slices vertically and add the slices to the bowl.
- Save the outside leaves of the escarole for another salad. Separate the lighter green pieces of escarole and add to the bowl. Add the peaches, coriander, salt and pepper. Toss gently.
- Mix the feta cheese in with the salad. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, lime juice, peach liquid and honey in a small bowl with a whisk until combined. Add the slivered almonds.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Put the salad and the dressing on the table and letting the family or guests dish up their own salad and add their own dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate any unused salad.
This Greek salad has just the right amount of spices to complement the wonderful ingredients that make it too good to resist. Thanks to international markets, cucumbers are available all year long and are part of this tasty combination. The peels are left on the cucumbers, which are sliced thin. Ripe Roma tomatoes, cut into small slices lengthwise, add bright color to the escarole and green olives. Sliced peaches add some sweetness to counteract any bitterness. Feta cheese, sliced thin and cut into small pieces, is easily picked up with the fork and eaten. It is an entrée or meal.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8812 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3322 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3288 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3128 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2644 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2511 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2400 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2368 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2326 Views)