Lemon and Fennel Salad Recipes
Many common vegetables look similar to others. Fennel has a delightful licorice scent and flavor that makes people think it is anise, which carries the same scent. As part of the parsley family, fennel shares features of many related plants including anise, carrot, coriander, dill, caraway and cumin. Fennel is a total veggie plant. Its bulb is pale green or white. The stalks are scattered over the bulb. Its feathery leaves are brilliantly green. The flowers grow near them, producing the fennel seeds. The entire plant is edible and delicious. Its versatility has resulted in it being an international crop. You can find it fresh at the supermarket from autumn until early spring.
Like most plants that are good for the human body, fennel has a lot of interesting history. A Greek myth says the gods at Olympus delivered knowledge to humans via a fennel stalk filled with coal. Both the Romans and Greeks cherished it because of its health benefits and incredible food dimensions. High in antioxidants, it also contains vitamin C, folate, and potassium.
You want to select quality fennel. Here are some tips to help you get the best of this produce. Look for firm clean pale green or white bulbs, free of bruising and splitting. Straight stalks positioned closely around the bulb should be green, as should the leaves. Flowering buds mark a fennel plant that is past its prime. Pass it by and look for another. The fresh plant smells like anise or licorice. Use the fennel as soon as possible. Slice the bulb vertically and remove the hard core. The bulb makes excellent salads, while leaves are an herb for seasoning. Soups, stews, and stocks are tasty when you add the fennel stalk.
During the autumn and winter months while some fresh produce drops in supply, fennel marches in to preserve our fresh salad habits. The light licorice fragrance and taste is highlighted by additions such as a lemon and olive oil dressing, flakes from its family member parsley, and for an extra treat, thin slices of fresh parmesan cheese.
- 1 fennel bulb in paper-thin strips (Use the slicing side of a grater or meat slicer to achieve this style)
- 1 fennel stalk, cut into inch-long pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small can pitted whole black olives, drained
- 3 thin slices fresh Parmesan cheese
- Whole-wheat breadsticks
- Cut the bulb and remove the core before slicing the fennel.
- In a medium bowl, mix the fennel pieces and fresh parsley.
- Combine the olive oil and lemon juice in a small glass cup, stirring to mix. Pour into the bowl and mix with the fennel and parsley.
- Add the olives and toss gently.
- Serve with the slices of fresh Parmesan cheese and breadsticks on the side.
It is not a common salad but it certainly is an appealing one. The fennel is slice thin, resembling coconut. Who would ever thing the bulb would come to this. Natural nutrition delivers a surprise in many salad recipes including this delicious raw vegetable salad. One large olive and a few bits of parsley flakes comprise the garnish, a nice touch. Some of the fennel stalk, added to provide a bit of crunch, provides the reason that this is yet another salad you can be proud to serve your friends. A lemon and olive oil dressing complements the finished product.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3324 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3290 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)