How to Make Coleslaw the Easy Way
Cole Slaw is another traditional standby salad, popular for decades because of the ease in preparation and the variety of different ways to prepare the salad. One reason it is so popular is because it really is easy to make and it uses many of the fall and winter vegetables, like onions, carrots, and cabbage. It is probably no surprise to hear that there are many different recipes for this delicious dish and many of those will become favorites in your family.
Have you ever stopped to consider how fortunate we are when it comes to food and recipes? Many of us live in areas where nearly any type of food spice, herb, or item is available. It is easy to find a recipe for nearly any item we want to create online or in hard or soft cover books. Think about the brave women who ventured forth across the years with a dear recipe written on a scrap of precious paper so that part of family tradition would go with them to their new home far away. Now it is common to chat with people thousands of miles away if there are questions regarding ingredients or preparation or the correct temperature for baking.
After you try this coleslaw recipe, think about trying some of the other favorites shared from chef to chef and family to family across the years. Cole Slaw is a wonderful salad to take to potlucks, picnics and barbecues, as well as a pleasant alternative to lettuce and tomato salads. With the different types of cabbages offered at the grocery store, you can vary the color and shape of the leaves as well as the texture and cut.
Creamy Cole slaw is always delicious and you will discover that a special vinaigrette dressing makes a wonderful Cole slaw salad as well when you try this recipe. There are three options for the juice used in the dressing. Just pick your favorite. Either red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar is suitable with the other ingredients for this particular salad and you will soon find out the ones your family prefers the best.
- 3 carrots
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ red pepper
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cranberry, orange or grape juice
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Peel the carrots and shred them into a large bowl.
- Rinse the cabbage and remove any bad damaged leaves. Cut it into quarters. Shred each quarter into the bowl with the carrots. Dispose of the tough core.
- Trim the very top and bottom off the green onions. Slice the green tops and the bulb thin and place into the bowl.
- Slice the red pepper and chop the parsley, adding both to the bowl.
- Blend the sugar, wine vinegar, vegetable oil, and juice in a small glass bowl. Whisk for 2 minutes to combine and pour over the cabbage mixture. Cover and shake the bowl up and down to coat ingredients with the dressing. Put into the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. Before serving, shake a few times to remix any liquid that has settled to the bottom.
This is coleslaw worth waiting for. Each serving heaps over a large rounded salad bowl and offers a good look of the carrots, cabbage, and red peppers cut into long, thin slices and combined with small chips of onion, dressed with vinaigrette and garnished with parsley. Just a simple garnish on the blue mat of a parsley sprig in front and behind the bowl adds that special feeling of welcome. No salad fork for this tasty lunch or dinner item; the raw salad demands a regular fork to make the most of its crunchy texture and delicious taste.
Leave a Reply
- Green Lime and Cilantro Vinaigrette July 27, 2014
- Honey and Pomegranate Vinaigrette Salad Dressing July 27, 2014
- Tangerine and Lemon Citrus Salad Dressing Recipe July 27, 2014
- Balsamic Vinegar Salad Dressing Recipe July 27, 2014
- How to Make a Salad Dressing July 27, 2014
- Traditional Mediterranean Vinaigrette Salad Dressing July 27, 2014
- Olive Oil Salad Dressing with Garlic and Lemon July 27, 2014
- Portuguese Salad Dressing with Roasted Garlic July 27, 2014
- Home (4191 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (1338 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (1111 Views)
- Tuna and White Bean Salad Recipe with Red Onion (1070 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (1052 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (1030 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (1016 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (973 Views)
- Recipe for Grilled Vegetable Salad with a Spiced Garlic Dressing (962 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (912 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (908 Views)
- Easy Mango Chicken Salad Recipe (904 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (876 Views)
- Caramelized Onion and Butter Bean Salad Recipe (838 Views)
- Egg Salad Recipes with Bibb Lettuce and Tomatoes (834 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (824 Views)