Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives
It seems the word is out and people are noticing the fact that Greek salad is a wonderful thing as a meal or as a side dish it is equally good as either. In the following recipe I offer you an authentic Greek salad and dressing recipe to go with it that is sure to be a hit. This salad is missing one thing but that is what makes it special no lettuce and that is one of the reasons it will work as a light dinner or lunch or could be served as a nice salad with say a lasagna recipe or maybe something a little more traditionally Greek instead of Italian.
If you haven’t had feta cheese in a salad before you’re in for a treat it is an excellent salad cheese it give any salad a real boost in flavor and makes it filling in a good way. Greek salad is a nice light salad and to complement it I pair it with a nice simple vinaigrette dressing that brings out the natural flavors in the salad too many dressings mask the underlying salad and this one doesn’t it highlights its strengths.
You could us a different onion but the little bit of extra bite of the red is a better compliment to the tomatoes and cucumber in my opinion and pairs better with the salty tang of the Kalamata olives nicely. The feta simple pulls it all together and helps make it one cohesive set of ingredients that not that many salads always manage to do. If you wanted as options you could put some anchovies and capers with this but I prefer this one without it is a bit less complex that way but in a good way.
- 12 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 English cucumber, partial peeled and cut in half then sliced in ⅜ inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 jar Kalamata olives, as needed
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cubed
- ¼ cup Iliada Kalamata Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon mild Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a small glass bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients except the oil. When whisked well drizzle the oil in while whisking until all blended and pour over salad as directed below.
- In a large glass bowl combine the salad ingredients be gentle tossing.
- Pour dressing over top and give another gentle toss to coat everything in the vinaigrette.
- Finish with some fresh cracked pepper if desired.
Of all the international salads Greek is among the best known and loved salads there are. One of the things that makes it so loved is the fact that it is a fairly simple set of complementing taste that all work well together. It is a lesson in contrast and complimenting taste that are all pretty common and not a lot of ingredients but some things just work together so well. I offer you some product suggestions if you want to use authentic Greek ingredients in your salad and dressing to give it a flare of authentic Greek taste. Of course you are always free to use whatever brand you want I mealy offer some ideas for true Greek ingredients you may not have been aware of.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8810 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3322 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3128 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2643 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2511 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2400 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2368 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2325 Views)