Fresh Mexican Salad Tostada
Deep-frying and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables are one of the feature items of Mexican food. From the ancient culture of the Mayans and Aztecs to today, recipes have been modified and merged to create new dishes. What is it that adds so much zip to the cuisine of different countries? With delicious Mexican salad recipes, it is usually the spicy chilies and other peppers that capture the imagination. Other flavors are given because of the many spices and herbs, such as garlic and cilantro. If you see an ingredient that seems unfamiliar, pull it up on the web. There are some fantastic food dictionaries online.
When serving this Mexican salad you might find a side dish is not needed. Tortilla chips seem to be a common request, however, so have some ready with fresh salsa, guacamole, or bean dip. Spanish rice is another option that is quite popular, particularly with the bite of green peppers and pimento. Since the salad involves so many ingredients, it is best to prepare the fresh vegetables just before serving. That will avoid wilting or color change on some of the ingredients. Peel and slice avocado just before serving.
Enjoy putting the bright colors of traditional Mexican foods in your meals with brilliance and depth of the shades included in typical meals. Peppers are brilliant green, red, orange, and yellow. Olives are shimmery shades of black and green. Onions range from white to red and purple, while tomatoes are red, green, and yellow. Whether serving dinner, breakfast or lunch, the choices for desserts, soups, and salads offer inspiration in your meals. Enjoy reviewing the delicious offerings from South of the border!
- 4 deep-fried tostada shells for salad
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium or large ripe tomatoes
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed and dried
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- ½ purple onion, peeled
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lime, quartered
- Fresh salsa
- Break the ground beef into crumbles and fry in a skilled on medium heat until cooked through. Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon, allowing the grease to return to the skillet. Remove remaining grease by putting the meat on a paper towel.
- Quarter the tomatoes and cut those pieces in half. Set aside.
- Tear the iceberg lettuce in small bite-sized pieces, dividing equally between each tostada shell.
- Chop the onion. Set aside.
- Divide the cooked ground beef between the tostada shells, placing on top of the iceberg lettuce.
- Tear the romaine lettuce and scatter on top of the ground beef.
- Array the sliced tomatoes between the salads. Scatter the chopped onion on the top, with olives and the shredded cheese.
- Place a slice of lime on the plate beside the tostada shell.
- Have fresh salsa available, if requested.
This deep-fried tortilla makes a lovely bowl for the Mexican Salad about to be served to each guest. The bounty of the season is evident in the picture, featuring shredded cheese, luscious ripe tomatoes, purple onions, sliced olives, romaine lettuce on the top and iceberg lettuce on the bottom, providing several different types of crunchy foods in the recipe. Ground beef is just about hidden by the bevy of ingredients. A slice of lime on the side of the plate makes an appealing garnish to one of the best salad recipes prepared this season. Fresh salsa makes a great dressing.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3325 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3291 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2409 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)