Fresh and Tasty Organic Cucumber and Onion Salad
As the requests for organic produce become more and more common, it is getting easier to find organic fruits and vegetables at local supermarkets, rather than having to make special trips on certain days to get them at Farmers Markets and specialty stores. The biggest draw of organic foods is the security of no pesticide residue and therefore, no poison. Some people are starting gardening for the first time in their lives just to be certain their families are getting safe, chemical free foods grown in good soil.
Salads are perfect lunch items and many times there is just one person at home for lunch. Salad recipes are designed to serve lots of people or just one or two and even if you are busy, you will find that it is quick to put together some luscious fruits and vegetables, add a light dressing and enjoy your creation while you continue your work. It is important to relax while eating and most of us are so busy we skip that feature, so keep your energy level high with food that is good for you, such as that found in salads.
Finding the right recipe is simple with the wonderful world of Internet research. Most websites give the visitor the option of a printer version of the recipe and this is a fantastic way to keep your favorite salad recipes in one place. Print it out, put it in a clear plastic holder, and place it in a binder. You can pull the paper out anytime you want to add notes about extra ingredients you want to try, any friends who particularly like that recipe and so on. Salads make creative meals for friends and family.
- 2 medium-sized cucumbers
- ½ small red onion or ¼ of a large one
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey
- Sea salt to taste
- Wash and dry the cucumbers. Trim the ends. Peel one cucumber. The blend of peeled and unpeeled cucumber lends to the lure of this salad.
- Use a sharp knife or food processor to cut the cucumbers into thin slices. Cut directly into a medium bowl or, if you use slicing them on a cutting board, put them in the bowl when finished.
- Peel and trim the onion for the salad. Cut it into thin slices and separate the pieces, adding it to the bowl. Juice the lemon, removing the seeds and retaining the peel.
- Combine the lemon juice in a small glass cup with the olive oil and stir several times. Pour the liquid over the cucumbers.
- Add the mustard seed.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt over the salad and add the honey.
- Cover and toss the salad. Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, just enough time to marinate.
- Divide onto 2 plates.
- Cut one of the peels thinly to add as a garnish. Bright yellow lemon peel is sure to catch the eye. Scatter fresh cilantro across the top of each salad and enjoy.
Beautiful thin slices of cucumber are stacked four deep on this large plate offering a healthy organic cucumber salad. Mustard seed and bits of fresh cilantro cover the top, while a dressing made from pure organic honey creates a delectable flavor. Varying color bursts from the peeled and unpeeled cucumber pieces, sliced so thin you can nearly see through them. They are the right size for eating and enjoying a salad. A person need not be a vegetarian or strict organic foods follower to appreciate the goodness that is ready and waiting to be eaten by those participating in dinner.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3324 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3290 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)