Gourmet Seafood Salad with Crab and Langoustine
This seriously impressive recipe is much easier to put together than it might look. Featuring the unmistakable flavors of crab, smoked salmon, and langoustine, this is a surefire way to impress your dinner guests. This recipe contains langoustines, although you could use another garnish if you cannot find them – maybe a few cooked jumbo prawns or some crayfish. Langoustines, which are also known as Norway lobster since they originally come from the Norwegian coast, are caught today along the Atlantic coast as well as the Adriatic and Western Mediterranean. They are quite rare due to overfishing.
These shellfish do not change color when you cook them, unlike shrimp or most other crustaceans. Langoustines’ tails go black when they die so make sure this is not the case when shopping for them. You can thaw pre-cooked ones or cook live ones. Grill them for a minute on one side and half a minute on the other or boil them for two minutes then submerge them in ice water to stop the cooking process.
This salad is best served chilled but do not make it too far in advance. Make the two main layers of the salad in advance and chill them in the refrigerator, then construct the salads shortly before serving so they are nice and fresh. The rice layer makes this salad a bit more substantial and its muted flavors do not interfere with the delicate seafood taste.
- 1 boiled egg, sliced thinly across
- 4 physalis (cape gooseberries)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 pieces smoked salmon
- Red caviar, for garnish
- 4 orange or lemon slices, for garnish
- 4 chilled, cooked langoustines
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Sliced green onion and fresh parsley, to garnish
- 2 cups cold, cooked, flaked crabmeat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ English cucumber, in very thin slices
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dill
- 1 cup rice 2 peeled, diced beetroot
- 2 chopped red onions
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of curry powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- First, make the top layer. Fry the onions in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the beetroot, curry powder, and water.
- Add the salt.
- When the water reaches a boil, add the rice and stir the mixture. Cook until the rice is done, then drain. If the red rice is not sticky, add a little mayonnaise and stir it.
- Chill it well.
- Next, make the bottom layer.
- Combine the cucumber, crab meat, bell pepper, dill, lemon, juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and chill the mixture.
- Arrange the salad leaves, green onion, and parsley on 4 well chilled serving plates.
- Use a cookie cutter to place a disk-shaped mound of the bottom layer on each plate, and then use the cookie cutter again to put a disk-shaped mound of the beetroot rice on top of that.
- Arrange the boiled eggs, smoked salmon and lemon mayonnaise on the rice layer and top with the red caviar and citrus slice.
- Arrange the langoustines and physalis on the plates and serve immediately.
This seafood salad recipe is really stunning and the picture shows you how impressive and elegant it looks. The secret to making this artistic salad is to make it in stages. As you can see from the photo, the salad itself is made of two main layers, one on top of the other, and finished off with various garnishes and additions. This is a colorful dish, which is definitely going to thrill your guests and get talked about for all the right reasons.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8810 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3322 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3128 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2643 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2511 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2400 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2368 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2325 Views)