Avocado Cold Seafood Salads Recipe with Prawns
Prawns and shrimp are two names for the same creature, although shrimp are always known as prawns in the UK. The main difference between them is that prawns tend to be a lot bigger than shrimp. You can cook prawns in various ways including steaming, pan-frying, deep-frying, and boiling. In the following seafood salad recipe the prawns are dropped into boiling salted water and cooked within a couple of minutes. A prawn is cooked when it is translucent and the flesh shrinks slightly back away from the shell.
This seafood salad recipe combines avocado with the prawns and these ingredients are wonderful together. Avocado is soft, creamy, and slightly nutty and you know how succulent and juicy prawns are, so you can probably imagine the harmony in this dish.
Add some baby salad leaves, a few bean sprouts, some crisp iceberg lettuce, and a splash of balsamic vinegar and you have a gourmet seafood salad recipe. The lemon dressing finishes this salad off in style and ties all the contrasting flavors together. If you are looking for a tasty seafood salad, you might enjoy this one.
- 1 ½ lbs large raw prawns (in their shells and heads on)
- 3 pints water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 small ripe avocados
- ½ diced red bell pepper
- Small handful bean sprouts
- 3 oz baby salad leaves
- 2 oz shredded iceberg lettuce
- Balsamic vinegar, as needed
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk
- Bring the water to a boil, and then add the salt.
- Add the prawns and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, or until they turn pink and float to the top.
- Put the prawns in ice water to cool them.
- Peel and chop all but 4 of them.
- Whisk the sugar and lemon juice together until most of the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the egg yolk and whisk until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add the oil a tablespoon at a time, whisking all the time until the dressing is creamy and thick.
- Cut each avocado in half.
- Divide the baby salad leaves between 4 chilled serving plates and drizzle some balsamic vinegar over them.
- Top each plate of leaves with a pair of avocado halves.
- Divide the bean sprouts, diced bell pepper and shredded iceberg lettuce between the plates, then add the chopped prawns.
- Drizzle the lemon dressing over the top and garnish each salad with a whole, unpeeled prawn.
This seafood salad recipe shows you how to combine prawns, avocados and a few other ingredients to make a lavish appetizer or flavorful lunch. If you cannot serve this immediately you should squeeze some lemon or lime juice over the avocado, else it will go brown at the edges. You can serve all the prawns whole with their shells on or peel and chop most, saving the best-looking for your garnish. Also, feel free to alter the ingredients, swapping the red bell pepper for pineapple chunks or the baby leaves for spinach or making any other substitutions you want.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16844 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8792 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3315 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3283 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3119 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2637 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2505 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2430 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2401 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2365 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2323 Views)