Easy Rice Salad with Roasted Vegetables
There are so many different recipes for rice salad to choose from but the following is especially good, for several reasons. First, it contains an eclectic mixture of roasted vegetables and salami, as well as feta cheese to add a Greek taste and creaminess. The garlic and parsley add a gentle flavor but not too much, so most of the flavor comes from the roasted tomato and onion.
The tomato and salami adds color to the otherwise white and cream-colored dish. You can also be imaginative with this dish, perhaps adding another kind of cheese like cheddar or mozzarella, and another kind of roasted vegetable like eggplant, zucchini, or bell peppers. The bell peppers would also add more color to the recipe. What about some chili pepper or diced fresh chilies if you want to add some spice? You could even leave out the salami and feta and add other kinds of roasted vegetables, some chicken or tofu and maybe some Indian spices like cumin, coriander, or curry powder to make a curried rice salad.
You can serve this easy rice salad recipe for lunch or supper. It would also work as a side dish if you are serving a piece of meat, poultry, or fish, since the flavors are quite mild and it goes with lots of types of meat entrees.
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 oz sliced salami
- 3 oz feta cheese marinated in olive oil
- 1 red onion, in thin wedges
- Cooking spray
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F.
- Use baking paper to line a roasting pan.
- Put the onion and tomatoes in the roasting pan and spray them with oil.
- Crush the garlic over the top and sprinkle on the salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Toss well to coat, then roast for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft but will still hold their shape.
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the package and let it cool to room temperature, stirring it with a fork to separate the grains.
- Drain the cheese, keeping 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Crumble it over the rice, and then add the tomatoes, onion, and parsley to the rice.
- Stir in the reserved olive oil and salami.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve at room temperature.
As the picture shows you, this is an attractive yet simple rice salad recipe. The tomato and salami add color and this makes a great side dish, salad, or buffet dish. Roasting the onion and tomatoes brings out their sweetness and this makes the difference between a standard rice salad recipe and a great one. This is a great dish if you are feeling creative because you can add all kinds of ingredients to the recipe to add color, flavor, and texture. If you want to use bell peppers or chilies, roast them along with the onion and tomatoes to bring out the flavor.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3324 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3288 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)