The Perfect Potato Salad Side Dish
This unusual potato salad recipe features both red and green onions, as well as cucumber and some feta cheese if you want to add a creamy tang. The feta is optional though so you do not have to use it. Grated cheddar would be nice too, if you fancy adding some cheese, or you could try a cheese blend.
The dressing for this potato salad recipe is made with extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar and beef broth, which might sound like a strange way to make a salad dressing but this recipe is typically German, and adding beef broth (either bought or homemade) adds a nice meatiness to the potatoes without overpowering the flavor of the dish. Throw in a pinch of salt (perhaps not necessary if your broth is salty) and black pepper and the dressing is complete. This potato salad recipe is best if you let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours, because the flavors will then blend to perfection, but if you are in a real rush you can leave that step out.
A simple potato salad is a nice side dish idea if you are grilling because it is something you can put together in advance and have ready when the meat is done. Serve your meat (try a couple of types of sausages or perhaps chicken wings or ribs) with ketchup and sweet mustard, as well as crusty bread, and your German-inspired meal is complete. This potato salad keeps for up to two days in the refrigerator.
- 1 ½ lbs potatoes in ½ inch cubes
- 2 peeled, seeded and diced cucumbers
- 1 chopped red onion
- 2 chopped green onions
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 oz crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Put the cucumber pieces in a colander and sprinkle salt over them to draw out the excess moisture.
- Let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Simmer the potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes or until they are tender but not mushy.
- Whisk the extra-virgin olive oil, beef broth, and white wine vinegar with a pinch each of salt and black pepper, to make the dressing.
- Drain the potatoes and rinse them under cold water until they are cool.
- Toss with the cucumber, red onion, green onions, dressing, and feta cheese (if you are using it).
- Cover and chill for 4 hours in the refrigerator so the flavors can blend, then serve chilled.
As the photo suggests, this potato salad makes a delicious side dish with sausages and bread. Serve tomato ketchup and sweet mustard on the side, so people can make their own sausage sandwiches. This German-inspired meal is perfect to enjoy while you watch the game or you can serve this outdoors, perhaps grilling the sausages instead of broiling or frying them. A nice-looking and well-balanced potato salad recipe makes a great side to any kind of meat or poultry and this recipe is very simple to put together, even if you are totally new to making simple salad recipe dishes at home.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3325 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3291 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2409 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)