Popular Red Potato Salad Recipe
There are over five thousand different kinds of potatoes in the world. People living in the United States prefer the red potato as their favorite variety and enjoy that it is available year round. The round or slightly oval potatoes have names like Red Pontiac and Red Lasoda and feature white insides and thin smooth red skins. Because the red potato is stable, it holds up whether fried, boiled, grilled, steamed, roasted, or microwaved. They are good additives to soups, salads, and casseroles.
There is a lot of healthy nutrition in the red potatoes, including fiber, vitamin C, and potassium. Eat and enjoy all the red potato, since peeling is unnecessary. The robust flavor makes the versatility unlimited in recipes and since the color stays during cooking, it adds a cheery attractive element to any meal. Their smaller size leads to the misnomer of new potatoes. New potatoes describe a potato harvested while still immature. Some varieties are larger than 2 inches in diameter.
Red potatoes originated in Peru and spread around the world thanks to Spanish sailors who took samples back home to Europe with them. Red potatoes absorb the flavors of other foods, herbs and spices, which makes them an ideal addition to casseroles and potato salad. Store this root vegetable in a dry cool place to last longer. Gently scrub the outside to eliminate dirt before using.
- 3 ½ pounds of small red potatoes, washed
- ½ small green pepper, deseeded, cored and chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced Walla Walla onion
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley or celery leaves, washed, dried and chopped into bits
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon tarragon
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar or sugar substitute equivalent
- Wash the potatoes and place them whole into a large pan, adding water to cover the potatoes. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Leave covered and let the potatoes simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. Set them aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, tarragon, white vinegar, salt, black pepper, milk, and sugar. Whisk to blend completely.
- Add the green pepper, celery, onion and parsley or celery leaves to the bowl. Stir together.
- Cut the potatoes by quartering them. If some of the potatoes are large, keep the chunks about 1 inch in size. Let the pieces drop into the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Use a rubber spatula to blend the potatoes with the dressing. Cover the bowl and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Red Potato Salad shows off the lovely color of bright red-skinned potatoes cut into chunks and mixed with fresh parsley, peppers, onions, and celery. Mix up this delightfully cool, delicious potato salad for the next picnic, barbecue, or church social and be prepared for compliments. There is no end to the menu items to serve with this creamy specialty red potato salad. Fried chicken and chicken strips are great or barbecued chicken wings. Corn on the cob or mini veggie-kabobs are great grilled. Hot dogs, hamburgers, and veggie burgers add eye appeal with desserts like chocolate cupcakes and watermelon slices.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8801 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3319 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3125 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2640 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2510 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2405 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2367 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2324 Views)