Perky Potato Salad with Cucumber and Radish
Although we tend to think of potato salad as a picnic or potluck dish, the variety of potato salad recipes presents an opportunity for elegant dining. Something as easy as a garnish often makes the difference between ordinary and “wow!” Beautiful dishes, the best silverware, and classic stemware all point to a sit-down, special meal. Perky Potato Salad with Cucumber and Radish is one of the special salads, right down to the garnish of fresh cilantro leaves.
There is no hardboiled egg in this recipe. If you wish, add slices of hardboiled egg on top as an extra garnish with the cilantro. Another idea is to halve 3 hardboiled eggs lengthwise. Scoop out the yolks and mix them with mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Put the mixture back in the gaps on the eggs and place a half on top of each salad. For years, it was almost a tradition to put paprika on top of hardboiled eggs. With occasional food allergies, have a shaker of paprika available for those who want the extra bit of hot.
If the vegetables are from your garden, that makes the meal all the more special. The American farmer is retiring and many citizens are finding out that ways of gardening, such as raised beds, container gardening and community gardens, fill the need for quality fresh vegetables. Enjoy the bounty of your harvest and enjoy creating more delicious vegetable recipes.
- 6 medium white or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 6 radishes, washed and thinly sliced
- ½ small Vidalia or Walla-Walla onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cucumber, washed, sliced and soaked in ¼ cup apple cider vinegar to alleviate bitterness
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Honey Mustard dressing
- Fresh Cilantro leaves, sealed and refrigerated
- Put the peeled potatoes in a pan of boiling water (salted or unsalted). When the water resumes boiling, cover the pan and reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook for 15 minutes. If a fork slides in and out easily, the potatoes are cooked. If it resists releasing the potato, return the cover and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the stove and drain the water. Place the potatoes on a plate to cool.
- In a large plastic bowl, combine the honey mustard dressing and bacon bits. Stir to combine. Add the chopped onion, stirring to coat each piece with dressing.
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks of random size, letting the pieces fall into the bowl. Mix gently to combine the dressing and potatoes.
- Drain and dry the cucumber slices. Add to bowl with radishes, leaving both to set on the left-hand top side of the bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- When the Perky Potato Salad with Cucumber and Radish is ready to serve, dish up individual portions in clear bowls with the radishes and cucumbers towards the edge of the bowls and the potato mix in the center. Garnish with the fresh cilantro leaves.
Potato salad season is any time of year. Clear plastic or glass bowls show off the creativity of the many varieties of salads made, especially potato salads, which have dozens of recipes and ingredients. Even the potatoes are served warm, hot, or chilled. Large slices and chunks of Yukon Gold or white potatoes are enhanced with delicious honey-mustard dressing, thin slices of crisp white radishes circled with red and marinated fresh, unpeeled slices of cucumbers. A sprinkle of bacon bits increases the crunch level of the salad. Adding a garnish of fresh cilantro gives the salad a special tasty zing.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3325 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3291 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2409 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)