Make Your Own Traditional Potato Salad Recipe
Sometimes it is nice to take a break and spring for a delicious potato salad. Lettuce, spinach, endive, carrots, cucumbers, and other vegetables are scrumptious salad ingredients and fantastic with or without dressing. Potato salad has that great flavor that reminds us of happy times as a kid when we would go on picnics at the park, mountains or beach and enjoy fun foods like hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and potato salad.
It is probably no surprise to those of us in the US and Canada that yellow mustard is most often used in this area. It is very mild brilliant yellow mustard, thanks to turmeric and Francis and George French’s introduction of that shade in 1904. The deli style of spicy brown mustard is also popular in North America. The seeds, coarsely ground, give a speckled brownish yellow appearance. Dijon mustard originated in 1856 when a “green” juice from semi-ripe grapes was used rather than vinegar. Jean Naigeon of Dijon created quite a sensation with his creation.
If for some reason the family recipe for potato salad has been lost or forgotten, borrow a traditional recipe from another family or send an email out to friends and family asking what they remember about Grandma’s potato salad. Chances are good many of the herbs, spices and consistency you remember will arrive item by item to combine into a recipe full of fond memories. Remember to keep salads with mayonnaise chilled when outdoors. The sun can spoil the mayo quickly and the flavors in the salad may hide the difference in taste.
- 3 pounds red potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks (do not peel)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 hardboiled eggs, peeled and cut chunky
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 small celery stalks, thinly sliced
- Put the potatoes into a large pot. Cover with water. Bring to boiling and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Mix the olive oil, salt, pepper, honey mustard, and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and stir to coat the potatoes with the mix.
- Place the milk, pickle relish, and mayonnaise in a small bowl and whisk it until smooth.
- Put the mayonnaise mix, green onions, and celery in with the potato mixture. Add the chopped hardboiled eggs and any remaining ingredients you wish to add extra. Mix together with a rubber spatula. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to cool and allow flavors to blend.
- While the salad chills, there is plenty of time to think of other items to make for a special meal. Cupcake recipes, grilled chicken, Mexican food like cheese enchiladas, or nearly any food you can think of goes great with one of the many potato salad recipes.
Watch eyes light up at mealtime when traditional potato salad is part of the menu. Attractive and appealing, the potato salad has a garnish of parsley sprig. To the side is a wedge of ripe red tomato and a crunchy fresh lettuce leaf. A roll, quartered and toasted, rests to the side, covered with cheesy garlic parmesan sprinkled on for flavor. There are many potato salad recipes to try, including the family favorite. Iced tea is the perfect beverage complement to add to this tasty meal to cool and nourish the body in the middle of a long, hot day.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
One Response to Make Your Own Traditional Potato Salad Recipe
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16864 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8886 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3358 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3310 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3168 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2670 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2539 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2456 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2428 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2415 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2387 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2345 Views)