Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives
Although there are many potato salad recipes from all parts of the world with one of the best know being German potato salad but this dish is also a very main stay of many American meals especial during the summer months when people move their dinners outdoors to take advantage of the nice weather and get a chance to get outside. American cooks have been serving potato salad at cooks for a long time and although this salad’s origins may not be native it is as much a part of the culture as any other food item.
Now there are generally one of two ways to go when making a dressing for potato salad one being vinegar based and the other being mayonnaise based. In this recipe I join the two into a simple dressing that brings the best of both worlds together and melds into a very distinct dressing you will like for a change from the one dimensional others.
The vinegar helps give the mayonnaise based dressing a bit of an acid element that helps give the otherwise mild mayonnaise dressing a bit more pizzazz. If you haven’t tried this before it really offers a bit of freshness that takes the otherwise rich mayo based dressing and injects freshness into the dish. It is subtle as to much would be to sharp a contrast to the egg so I suggest keeping it where it is at the first time at least, afterwards feel free to experiment and see where you like the balance point.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup hard boiled eggs, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons fresh chive, chopped
- ⅔ cup Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise
- 1½ tablespoons Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a stockpot with enough water to cover the potatoes by 2 inches of water to a boil and cook the potatoes about fifteen minutes or until tender when poked with a fork they should be slightly firm so they stay together so not as much as if you were going to use them for mashed potatoes.
- Remove from heat and drain and rinse with cold water to cool and remove excess starch.
- In a bowl large enough for all the potatoes whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic and vinegar.
- Add the potatoes in the bowl and toss gently to coat completely.
- Season with salt and preferable fresh ground pepper to taste and cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until chilled.
- Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle with the chopped egg and chive and serve with your favorite entree.
One of the perennial salads at any barbecue or cookout and even many panics is potato salad. Now there are many ways to make this classic summer cookout salad and in many of them they use egg and onion in one form or another. In this potato salad I use chive for a more mild onion taste so as not to overpower the potatoes or egg like raw fresh onion can do. Also I don’t mix the egg in as this way it offers a bit more depth of flavor contrast to salads where the two are mixed in to the same dressing making them less distinct from one another.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16844 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8790 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3313 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3283 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3117 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2635 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2503 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2428 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2400 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2396 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2363 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2322 Views)