Smoked Ham Salad Recipe with Garlic Almond Dressing
This tasty smoked ham salad recipe might look as though it calls for a lot of ingredients but most of them are basic staples which you probably already have in your refrigerator or cupboards. This smoked ham salad contains bell pepper, cucumber, and chives for color, capers, and onion for piquancy and blue cheese for creaminess. If you are not a blue cheese fan, you can switch it for another crumbly cheese such as goat’s cheese, for similar results.
The dressing is made with garlic, almonds and more, and it goes very nicely with the ham salad. If you would rather use a cup of vinaigrette or another kind of dressing instead of making this one, that is fine. You could even serve this ham salad recipe with some extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar splashed over it, or with lemon or lime juice. It is up to you which dressing you serve with this easy ham salad recipe.
Whether you are looking for a healthy lunchtime snack or a delicious appetizer to wow your dinner guests, this ham salad recipe is definitely worth considering. Although the amount of ham in it rules it out as a side salad, you can still serve it as an appetizer or as the main course. Use un-smoked ham if you prefer it, or if you have some to use up, or turkey ham if you like. You could even get rid of the ham altogether and use leftover chopped chicken instead.
- 4 cups diced smoked ham
- 1 cup quartered, sliced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced tomato
- ¾ cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 6 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley, for garnish
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¾ oz blanched almonds
- Sherry vinegar, as needed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- Toss the ham, cucumber, chopped parsley, onion, bell pepper, tomato, chives, capers, salt, black pepper, and cheese together.
- Divide the salad between 6 serving plates.
- Puree the garlic, almonds, and most of the water and a bit of vinegar in a blender until you get a paste.
- Add more oil and water, as needed, to get a good consistency.
- You can add a little more vinegar too if you like.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and garnish with a sprig of parsley.
This is one of the most refreshing summer salads you can make and the Spanish-style almond garlic dressing gives it a flavorful touch of elegance. The salad contrasts soft ingredients like the cheese and ham with crunchy ones like the cucumber and onion. You can serve this al fresco on a warm spring or summer day or serve small portions of it as an appetizer. You can even make this salad the main event, serving it with a generous amount of crusty bread on the side and plenty of butter or aioli to slather over it.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8805 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3319 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3125 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2641 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2510 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2405 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2367 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2324 Views)