Grilled Tomato Salad
The tomatoes in this tomato salad recipe are seared, giving them a sweet, juicy flavor and an attractive look. The grilled tomatoes are mixed with a delicious basil, lemon and garlic dressing. A dash of Worcestershire sauce is added to the dressing to give it a rich, spicy taste.
This tomato salad makes a great side dish and goes perfectly with any grilled meat recipe or grilled fish recipe. It can be served either warm or cold and keeps in the refrigerator if there is any left over. Vine-ripened tomatoes are the best type to use in this grilled tomato recipe because they are more flavorful than regular tomatoes and have a deeper red color but you can use any tomatoes if a vine-ripened variety is unavailable.
As you probably know, tomatoes are technically a fruit and not a vegetable, but their flavor makes them perfect for savory recipes such a salads, stews and even grilling. Some vegetables will fall apart on the grill but not tomatoes. They hold together very nicely. They just need to be seared until they are golden brown, then served hot, either with bread or perhaps with other salad ingredients, or maybe even as an accompaniment for your favorite egg dish because tomatoes and eggs have a special affinity. Serve these with an omelet or scrambled eggs to add a gourmet touch to your plate. Use good quality tomatoes here if you can get them because they are the main ingredient and grilling will coax out an amazing flavor from them. Organic tomatoes are usually very good.
- 5 quartered tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ loaf crusty bread, in 5 pieces
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill to moderate and clean the grill rack.
- Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and olive oil.
- Add the basil. Season the tomatoes with some salt and black pepper.
- When the grill is hot, sear the tomatoes, turning them often until they are browned all over.
- Toss them in the lemon juice mixture.
- Divide the grilled tomato salad between 5 serving plates and serve with the bread.
A Picture of grilled tomatoes used to make our grilled tomato salad. A light and refreshing salad – this is the perfect thing to do with tomatoes fresh out of the garden.
Tomato – to·ma·to
Pronounced: (tè mã tõ, má-), n., pl. -toes.
Any number of plants belonging to the genus Lycopersicon, of the nightshade family of plants. The tomato is originally native to Mexico, Central and South America, especial the widely cultivated genus L. lycopersicum.
The tomato bears a mildly acid, pulpy, typically red fruit. It can be eaten raw or cooked as a many variation of pasta sauces. Can be eaten in the green state as is common in many caned relishes. Also comes in yellow and orange.
Tomato: refers to both the fruit itself and the plant. Tomatoes are best grown in hot, humid areas with long growing season, but can be grown pretty much anywhere with accommodations.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16864 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8888 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3358 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3310 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3168 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2670 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2541 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2456 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2428 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2415 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2387 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2345 Views)