Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese
This grilled salad recipe is really simple to put together and the crisp salad leaves and other ingredients are topped with juicy halloumi cheese. This cheese is a delicacy in Cyprus and it is made from goat’s milk, salt and a little mint. Halloumi, which is also known as “hellim,” is a full fat soft cheese and it is available from Middle Eastern grocery stores as well as some mainstream grocery stores.
Halloumi can be diced into cubes and served with salads or served with melon, cucumber, or crackers. It is also great grilled or fried. Halloumi cheese tends to split when you heat it so cut it into wedges or slices before cooking it for the best results. You can try cooking it whole if you want to, but it will probably split. Also, it cooks faster if you cut or slice it up first.
The basis of this salad is mixed lettuce leaves with red onion for crunch and visual appeal and grilled sweet yellow bell pepper. The sweetness of the bell pepper is especially nice with the halloumi. The balsamic vinegar adds an elegant touch to this grilled salad recipe. You will not need much though, just a little drizzle. Serve this grilled salad recipe as an appetizer before any meat or fish course, or alone as a vegetarian dish or a light lunch.
- 1 halloumi cheese
- ½ sliced red onion
- 1 package mixed salad leaves
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- Small handful alfalfa sprouts, for garnish
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1 ½ tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar, for garnish
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Unwrap the halloumi and pat it dry with kitchen towels.
- Slice it into 8 pieces with a sharp knife.
- Preheat the grill to moderately hot.
- Whisk the garlic, lime zest, lime juice, capers, vinegar, cilantro, and mustard with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Brush the remaining oil over the bell pepper.
- Grill the bell pepper on both sides until it is just beginning to char.
- Grill the cheese until it is hot and has grill marks on it.
- Put the salad leaves on a serving platter and arrange the sliced red onion on top.
- Finely slice the bell pepper and add it to the salad, then add the halloumi cheese and alfalfa sprouts.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over the cheese.
- Serve immediately.
You can see from the picture that this is a very appealing recipe. This grilled salad recipe features onion, bell pepper, grilled cheese and more. The colors are bright and the flavor is amazing. The balsamic vinegar and alfalfa sprout garnish is simple yet effective and it gives this salad a sophisticated look. Since this grilled vegetable salad recipe is best when the cheese is hot and melting, serve it as soon as you can when the cheese comes off the grill. You can cook the bell pepper just before the cheese if you like, since it will take longer and it is easier to chop up if you let it cool down a bit first.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16844 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8790 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3313 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3283 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3117 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2635 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2503 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2428 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2400 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2396 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2365 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2322 Views)