Gourmet Grilled Romaine Salad Heart
If you are looking for a grilled vegetable recipe, which makes a wonderful appetizer, what about making this grilled romaine salad? The romaine heart is grilled until it begins to wilt and develop grill marks and then it is served with mandarin segments and almonds, as well as a creamy homemade dressing on the side. To save time, you can use a store-bought dressing. Choose something creamy though, to contrast with the grilled romaine salad flavor and texture – perhaps an aioli or a blue cheese dressing would be good here.
Romaine is usually served chilled, as part of a salad, although a lot of people are not keen on its slightly bitter aftertaste. That flavor disappears when you grill it and the mandarin segments add a sweetness. This is a healthy recipe as well as a very tasty one and it makes such a nice summer lunch. The almonds add crunch as well as making it look more interesting.
There are so many different grilled vegetable recipes to choose from and vegetables can be used to make beautiful salads. You can usually serve grilled vegetable salads either warm or chilled. Romaine is perhaps an unusual vegetable to grill and maybe you did not even know it could be grilled, but the following grilled romaine salad recipe will prove to you that this is a wonderful dish.
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce
- ½ small can mandarin segments
- 1 teaspoon almond slivers
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed
- ¼ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Whisk the mayonnaise, ¼ teaspoon of the vinegar, garlic powder, basil, mustard seed, olive oil, and lemon juice together to make the dressing.
- Add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Cut the romaine heart in half lengthwise and trim the stem end slightly.
- Do not cut it too much else the leaves might not stay attached.
- Grill the romaine on a greased grill rack, pressing it down with a spatula.
- After 2 or 3 minutes, or when it starts to wilt, turn it over and grill the other side.
- Arrange the romaine on a serving plate and sprinkle the remaining vinegar, almonds, and mandarin segments over it.
- Add a little black pepper if you like.
- Serve the salad warm with the creamy dressing on the side.
This colorful grilled romaine salad recipe makes an impressive appetizer and it is a light and refreshing snack in the summer. Romaine is good fresh or grilled and if you have never tried a grilled romaine salad you are really going to like this one. The juicy mandarin segments and slivered almonds liven it up and the creamy garlic sauce gives the perfect contrast. Switch the creamy dressing for a low fat one, or leave it off altogether, and this becomes an ultra-healthy, low fat romaine recipe. Grilled romaine is an appetizing dish because it is unusual yet very flavorful, especially served with the fruit and nuts.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16864 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8891 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3360 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3312 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3169 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2673 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2541 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2460 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2430 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2418 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2390 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2348 Views)