Traditional Greek Salad Recipe
Salad is very popular in Greece, as is the case throughout most of the Mediterranean area. Big chunks of feta and tomato usually feature in a Greek salad, along with fat, juicy olives. Lettuce leaves are not commonly a part of this dish, since lettuce grows better in more temperate climates. If you choose good quality tomatoes and make sure they are perfectly ripe, this salad will have lots of flavor. The juicy tomatoes are the sweetest flavor in the whole dish and this taste contrasts with the semi-sour tang of the Greek feta cheese and the distinctive, sharp flavor of the Kalamata olives.
Since most of the flavor comes from the cheese, tomatoes, and olives, the dressing is made with vinegar, oil, and oregano. This adds a subtle flavor to the dish, as well as some moisture, but it does not overpower the flavors of the ingredients you are using.
An authentic Greek salad is made with cheese, tomato, olives and dressing but if you wanted to serve this for lunch or as a more substantial meal, you could play around with the ingredients a bit, maybe adding a protein such as chicken or turkey. Chopped bell pepper would also work with this.
- ½ cucumber, halved and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup cubed feta
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, in wedges
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Whisk the oregano, vinegar, salt and pepper together, and then drizzle in the olive oil.
- Keep whisking until the dressing emulsifies.
- Combine the cucumber, feta, tomatoes, onion, and olives in a bowl, then drizzle in some of the vinaigrette.
- Mix well and add more vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately.
This is one of the most classic salads of all time. The combination of shiny black olives, bright red tomato, and creamy feta cheese work well with the homemade dressing to give a classic Greek dish, which is great as an appetizer or side dish. This healthy salad is easy to make and the contrasts in both flavor and texture are wonderful. If you are looking for dinner party appetizer ideas, why not make an authentic Greek salad recipe? It is suitable before any kind of entree and it also makes a nice lunch.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3324 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3288 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)