Garden Salad with a Raspberry Dijon Dressing
Garden salad recipes are very well-loved but what is a garden salad exactly? This type of salad consists mainly of fresh vegetables. The base is usually mesclun, lettuce or another kind of greens. Other names for this recipe include tossed salad and green salad and dressings like Thousand Island, blue cheese dressing, honey mustard, ranch dressing, Italian dressing, or citrus dressing are often served with garden salad recipes. A big garden salad will work as an entree and a smaller one will work as an appetizer or side dish.
Typical garden salad ingredients include tomatoes, which might be cut into wedges, chopped, sliced or small varieties like cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, onion, mushrooms, olives, hard-boiled egg, cheese, bacon bits, broccoli or cauliflower florets and radishes. Cheese, bell peppers, celery, and croutons are other possible ingredients for such a salad. Some of these recipes are topped with tuna, chicken, deli meats (using deli meats makes it a chef salad), chicken, or other kinds of meat or seafood. You can be creative when making garden salad recipes.
The following recipe contains lettuce, red cabbage, tomatoes, red onion, carrot, and cucumber, to keep the salad crispy, colorful, and healthy. The dressing is made with mustard, extra-virgin olive oil and raspberry vinegar, for a piquant finish which suits the plain flavor of the salad ingredients and really brings the salad to life. This recipe will serve six as a lunch or hearty appetizer or four as an entree. You can make the dressing in advance if you like but the salad is best prepared fresh. Toss everything together just before serving or serve the dressing on the side to allow people to serve themselves.
- 1 chopped iceberg lettuce
- ½ shredded red cabbage
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- ½ thinly sliced red onion
- ½ grated carrot
- ¼ sliced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Toss the lettuce, red cabbage, tomatoes, red onion, carrot, and cucumber together to make the garden salad.
- Whisk the mustard, raspberry vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper together to make the dressing.
- Toss the salad and dressing together or serve the garden salad with the dressing on the side.
One of the best things about garden salad recipes is how wonderfully crunchy they are. Using crisp ingredients like onion, lettuce, carrots, and red cabbage gives the garden salads a wonderful texture. Also, because of the typical ingredients in them, garden salads tend to be really colorful. You can usually tailor the ingredients in a garden salad recipe to suit your own taste. If you want to make substitutions that is fine. Not everything has to be crunchy either. Soft ingredients like boiled egg, olives, or mushrooms can also work well and you can switch the suggested dressing for one you prefer if you want to.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8799 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3315 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3285 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3122 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2638 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2506 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2432 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2403 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2366 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2324 Views)