Delicious Garden Salad Featuring Homemade Croutons
Salad is one of the building blocks of a good meal, and it can go well with any accompaniment. It works as a main dish or as a side dish, or anything you want it to work as. Best of all it takes so little time to prepare you can have it as a quick snack.
The following recipe is simple yet elegant. Follow all the steps, or modify and adapt it to suit your preferences. There are no rules when it comes to salad.
A delicious garden salad is a great way to get your nutrients while also enjoying something that is healthy and delicious.
This recipe boasts plenty of fresh vegetables and if you want to get maximum satisfaction, either grown your own vegetables or visit your local farmers’ market where you will find premium quality vegetables. The better the vegetables you use, the fresher and more delicious you can expect your finished salad to taste. As well as the veggies this recipe calls for garlic, paprika and Italian seasoning, and your preferred dressing or vinaigrette. You will be making your own croutons so this is a great recipe for using up stale bread. Stale just means a bit dry, not moldy. The crunch of the croutons and aromatic vegetables combine wonderfully to make the most delicious garden salad.
- 2 thick slices stale or old bread (no mold)
- 3 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Paprika and salt to taste
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 5 baby carrots
- ½ very small red onion
- ⅓ cucumber
- 1 mushroom
- Italian or Romaine Lettuce
- Dressing or Vinaigrette (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F while you prepare the croutons. Get out your old bread and slice it up into 1 inch pieces. Remove the crusts before making the pieces. Put all the pieces into a small bowl.
- Drizzle the bowl with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and gently toss. Add the garlic powder and Italian seasoning, and then toss again. Sprinkle the salt and paprika and mix a last time. Be sure the seasonings and oil and completely spread out and evenly distributed throughout the bread.
- Pour out the bread cubes onto a shallow baking tray and spread with your hands so the cubes are not stacked or overlapping. Put the tray into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown. Be very careful as if the bread gets too browned it will not taste good.
- While the croutons are baking prepare your salad. Wash all the salad ingredients and dry them before using. Begin by slicing up the lettuce into ½ inch strips. Add these to the plate or bowl you will be mixing the salad in.
- Slice the mushrooms into thin slices. Then get the cherry tomatoes and cut them in half lengthwise. Chop the baby carrots into thin slices, and …
- Toss it gently but not overly much. If you want to dress it with something you can add it now, or wait till later in order to avoid sogginess. Your croutons should be done by now, so remove them from the oven. Give then a few moments to cool, and then sprinkle them generously over your salad. Store the remaining croutons in an airtight container.
- You can now go and enjoy your delicious salad by yourself or with friends.
Your salad can be served as either a side or main dish, however you prefer. Salad is extremely versatile and you can eat it however you choose, as it goes well with almost every other dish. For extra flavor and color, garnish with basil leaves. The great things about a garden salad are the color and freshness. You can combine aromatic salad vegetables with any dressing you wish and then make homemade croutons to add a wonderful crunch. What a healthy dish this is! Enjoy it for lunch or dinner, as a side dish or even the main meal. Whether you grow your own veggies or pick up the best-looking, freshest produce at your next trip to the farmers’ market, few dishes beat the fresh appeal of a good garden salad recipe.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8799 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3315 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3285 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3121 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2637 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2505 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2431 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2401 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2366 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2323 Views)