Prosciutto and Egg Salad with Tarragon
This interesting salad features prosciutto and boiled egg, on top of mixed salad greens with tarragon. Prosciutto means ham in Italian and usually describes ham which has been seasoned, cured and air-dried. ‘Prosciutto cotto’ is cooked and ‘prosciutto crudo’ is raw, although it is ready to eat because it has been salt-cured. In the following recipe, you can use the prosciutto as it is or chop it and then crisp it in a pan in some olive oil. The first method is healthier but the second might be nice if you want the prosciutto warm and a little crispy.
Feel free to use less salad and more prosciutto, or change any of the quantities. Something else you can try is using rendered pancetta or crumbled bacon instead of the prosciutto, or your favorite kind of ham. Although this is great with boiled eggs, it is also nice with a poached egg on top instead. The dressing used in this recipe is a basic vinaigrette with fresh tarragon added. Tarragon goes nicely with egg salads, as well as with fish or chicken.
Tarragon is the main flavoring in Béarnaise sauce, and also used to flavor Tarhun, a popular bright green soda in Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, and various other countries. A lot of bugs hate the aroma and flavor of tarragon, so if you are a keen gardener, consider using it as a companion plant next to anything you do not want disturbed by garden pests.
- ½ lb mixed salad greens
- 4 peeled, sliced hard-boiled eggs
- 8 slices prosciutto
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Whisk the tarragon dressing ingredients together.
- Toss the salad greens with enough of the dressing to coat them lightly.
- Cut each prosciutto slice in half.
- Divide the salad between 4 plates and top with hard-boiled egg slices and prosciutto.
- Grind some black pepper on top.
- Serve the remaining dressing on the side.
Bacon and eggs can be served together as a great breakfast, but you can use a similar combination if you want to make another meal, swapping the fried eggs for boiled ones and the bacon for prosciutto. Toss mixed salad leaves in our flavorful tarragon dressing, and top with boiled egg slices and tasty prosciutto. Although prosciutto can be served alone, or as part of a tapas platter with cheese and olives, it goes well with eggs, so you might like to make this the next time you want to make some salad. You can see from the picture that it looks very appealing.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8792 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3315 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3283 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3120 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2637 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2505 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2430 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2401 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2365 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2323 Views)