Chicken and Strawberry Salad with Warm Citrus Dressing
This recipe is a really good choice, not only because it is nutritious but also because it offers so much in the way of flavor, texture and appeal. The chicken is cooked in broth, to make it really meaty and tasty. Then it is combined with three kinds of salad leaves, strawberries and walnuts. The salad is finished off with an incredibly flavorful warm citrus dressing. This is a gourmet salad but a really easy one to make. It makes four lunch-sized portions or perhaps eight appetizer-sized ones.
All the fresh produce in this chicken salad recipe make it super-healthy, not to mention delicious. Present somebody with this at lunchtime or dinnertime and they are sure to be seriously impressed. Warm salads are always nice, whether just one component is warm or perhaps, in this case, the chicken is served warm and the dressing is too. The other ingredients are served chilled, so you have a nice contrast.
You can serve bread or crackers alongside this salad if you want but it does not really need it, because it is already filling as it is, but some people do like to offer another side dish, so this would be up to you.
- 1¼ lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups fresh watercress
- 2 cups radicchio
- 2 cups halved strawberries
- ¼ cup walnut halves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Sprinkle the salt and black pepper over the chicken breast halves.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a skillet and add the chicken.
- Turn the heat down, then cover and simmer for 14 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn it over halfway through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile make the dressing.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Cover and puree until smooth.
- Put the mixture in a small pan and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, then keep warm.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and discard the broth.
- Chop or thinly slice the chicken.
- Toss the salad leaves with the strawberries and chicken.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and add the walnuts on top.
- Serve immediately while the chicken and dressing are both still warm.
This special chicken and strawberry salad is so summery. The bright colors are beautiful and this is a healthy dish too. Whether you are looking for lunch or dinner inspiration, you might be intrigued by this recipe. It is very easy to put together and the chicken and dressing both being warm add something unique and unusual, so this salad will stand out from all the chicken salad recipes you have made before. You might like to add this to your weekly menu rotation and your family will want you to; it really is a winner.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8801 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3319 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3125 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2640 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2510 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2405 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2367 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2324 Views)