Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad
I don’t know why it is but with warmer weather I think bean salad when looking at the salad site. I know it is still March and the first lettuce in New England is still quite a ways off but I feel the warmth of spring coming and I want a nice filling bean salad. So many multi bean salads use green beans or wax beans in them for a textural break from the heavier beans but I wanted a salad that was going to be really filling. One meant for early spring when it is not that middle of summer heat when the heavier beans might be too much.
With this salad it is perfect for the still slightly cool days and crisp nights and as such will not weigh you down like it might in the middle of August. This is a good salad to serve with some chips it is almost like a black bean salsa in that regard and it has enough different kinds of beans to make everyone find something in it they like. I wanted to keep it totally vegetarian so that I could share it with my step dad and not have to feel guilty for not including him.
There really would be no reason not to do it as a vegetarian recipe after all the main ingredient is beans so why ruin it with something that really has no place in the ingredient list in the first place. Now this salad is filling enough to act as a main course for something like a luncheon or early supper and with maybe just a few additions could really fill out a meal without any meat at all, please don’t tell my guys. I do like feeding them nights without it but I have to sneak it in on them so they don’t realize it was void of meat otherwise it is a full out protest on my hands. It is better to quietly just do it and then they don’t even notice it until they are already full and protest would be pointless.
- 1 can Black beans, rinsed
- 1 can chick peas, rinsed
- 1 can cannellini , rinsed
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can blackeyed peas, rinsed
- ½ can green chilies, diced
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 tasblespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tasblespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tasblespoons agave nector
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large glass bowl and toss until well blended.
- Place a sauce pan on the stove and combine all dressing ingredients.
- Allow it to come to a boil and remove it from heat and let cool by transferring to a bowl and refrigerating until at about room temperature.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix until all the dressing is well incorporated into the salad mix.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- Serve chilled
It is important as a vegetarian that you incorporate plenty of beans, lignums, and lentil type foods into your diet as possible so you make sure you get adequate amounts of protein in your daily diet. It is not usually a problem on the carb front but protein can be a challenge for some as meat is many people’s biggest source of this vital nutrient. It does not mean it is the only way though there are plenty of none meat was to insure you get plenty of protein in your daily diet. The beans category is a big one that is available to you.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8816 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3322 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3288 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3128 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2644 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2511 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2400 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2368 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2326 Views)