Fresh Garden Salad with a Honey Lemon Dressing
For the greens you might like to use a variety of different leaves, including Bibb or Boston lettuce or Romaine. Boston lettuce, which is also known as butter lettuce, is originally from the Mediterranean although other varieties developed in North America. Bibb and Boston lettuce are two of the most popular types of lettuce in the United States and they are similar although Boston lettuce has wider, paler leaves than Bibb. Butter lettuce is tender and mild in flavor, which means it pairs well with all kinds of other ingredients and is often used in garden salad recipes. This type of lettuce goes especially well with fruity or creamy ingredients, as well as with honey.
Lactucarium is found in butter lettuce and it might interest you to know that this compound has sedative effects similar to opium. It is recommended for treating intestinal spasms, palpitations and insomnia although a few leaves should not have any effect at all. Rumor has it that the emperor Domitian used to serve a whole head of butter lettuce to his guests at the beginning of their meal, forcing them to fight their sleepiness for hours, since falling asleep in front of the emperor would have been a big no-no.
Wash and dry your lettuce well before using it in the garden salad recipe. Use a canned jalapeno for less heat or a fresh one for more. Take out the seeds and stem before using it. If you really do not like the idea of adding heat to your garden salad recipe you can leave the jalapeno out altogether. The salad will still be flavorful and have a nice texture without it. The lemon juice in the dressing should be fresh for the best flavor but you can use bottled lemon juice at a pinch; it does not make too much difference.
- 3 cups torn mixed greens
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 sliced tomato
- ½ thinly sliced carrot
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Toss the mixed greens with the green onions, spinach, tomato slices, and carrot.
- Whisk the lemon juice, jalapeno, cilantro, honey, extra-virgin olive oil, and garlic together to make the dressing.
- Lightly toss the salad with the dressing and garnish with lemon wedges.
This colorful and appealing garden salad recipe can be made with whatever salad leaves or greens you fancy. Baby salad leaves are always nice in a garden salad and you might like to choose a couple of different kinds of lettuce which are in different shades of green for an even more colorful result. You can see how the dressing gives this salad a glossy finish. The lemon wedges are decorative but they can also be squeezed over the garden salad if anyone wants a more citrusy taste than the honey lemon dressing offers.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16844 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8790 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3315 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3283 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3119 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2637 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2505 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2430 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2401 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2365 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2323 Views)