Creamy Buttermilk Salad Dressing with Onion Salt
The buttermilk adds a tangy flavor to otherwise mild and cream salad dressing recipes. This amazing tangy twist means it works beautifully drizzled over any salad leaves. Buttermilk used to be the term for the liquid left over when you churn butter from cream. Before you could skim the cream from whole milk, it was left to sit, to allow the milk and cream to separate.
Naturally occurring lactic acid-producing bacteria would ferment the milk into buttermilk. In India, buttermilk is the liquid left over from extracting butter from churned yogurt. This is known as “traditional buttermilk” and, although it is common in India and Pakistan, it is hard to find in the West. The other type is cultured buttermilk, which is homogenized and pasteurized.
Some dairies might add colored butter flecks to simulate the buttery pieces found in traditional buttermilk but not all of them do this, so you might not have seen such an effect. Dried buttermilk and condensed buttermilk are often used commercially to make ice cream. Cultured buttermilk was labeled “artificial buttermilk” in the early 1900s, and traditional buttermilk was labeled as ordinary or natural buttermilk.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk the ingredients together and serve with salad leaves.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Buttermilk combines with mayo, paprika and onion to make this amazing salad dressing. Add some salt and pepper and the dressing is complete. You can use the blender or food processor to make this flavorful dressing. The tang of buttermilk is evident in the resulting dressing while the mayonnaise adds a more neutral creamy taste. The only seasonings you need to add to the dressing are paprika, onion salt and some black pepper, and then you will find the flavor is perfectly balanced. Serve this over mixed leaves, add it to chicken or pasta salad, or try it with shrimp or crayfish.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3324 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3290 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)