How to Make Greek Salad Dressing with Buttermilk
The term Greek salad refers to a lettuce, tomato, olive and feta cheese mixture dressed with an oil and vinegar-based dressing. At least this is the definition in North America, South Africa, Australia, and the UK. You might find potato salad in Tampa Bay Greek salads or beets in Detroit Greek salad recipes. In Greece itself, pepperoncini, bell peppers, dolmades, sardines, anchovies, pickled hot peppers, cucumber, and radishes often feature in the local salads.
In Greece, a typical dressing is made with oil and vinegar only, unlike the creamy feta cheese dressings or herb dressings labeled as “Greek” outside the country. A true Greek salad will be listed on a Greek menu as horiatiki, peasant salad, village salad, or country salad to avoid confusing the tourists.
This recipe for Greek salad dressing will keep for up to five days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It is a creamy dressing made with buttermilk and enhanced with feta cheese, garlic, and mustard. The mayonnaise ups the creaminess and the oregano and pepper give it a typical Greek flavor. You can swap the buttermilk for plain yogurt if you prefer. This recipe for Greek salad dressing is easy to make and the flavor is great. If you want to know how to make Greek salad dressing with buttermilk, this is a very good recipe.
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl.
Although many Greeks choose red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil to flavor their salads, a creamy dressing also goes beautifully with Greek salad, which is how we were inspired to create this fantastic buttermilk and feta cheese dressing. The oregano and garlic taste great in the dressing, and a little mustard gives it a piquant kick. All you need to do to make this salad dressing is whisk the ingredients together. Drizzle this over greens or any kind of salad, choosing black olives, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and feta cheese cubes for a typical Greek flavor in every bite.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8803 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3319 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3125 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2640 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2510 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2405 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2367 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2324 Views)