Tips for Salad Dressing
If you are going to use yogurt instead of sour cream in a salad dressing, remember the yogurt is naturally acidic so you will need to use less vinegar in the recipe. You can make a speedy avocado dressing by combining a cup of vinaigrette with half an avocado in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Making your own vinaigrette is simple. Just combine three parts of oil with one part of lemon juice, vinegar or whatever acidic ingredient you are using. Add some fruit juice to the vegetable oil, along with some honey and nutmeg, to make a flavorful salad dressing which is great over mixed greens or seafood. Try orange, mango or pineapple juice in it.
Lettuce and Salad Greens
Preparing iceberg lettuce is simple. First remove the outer leaves and then slam the lettuce down on a hard surface to dislodge the core. Twist it out and then run cold water into the core area. This removes any grit or dirt.
Turn the lettuce over and shake out the water, then you can separate the leaves. To shred the lettuce, cut the head of cored iceberg in half, and then put both halves on a cutting board, cut side down. Cut across the halves to get thin slices, and then separate these slices into shreds.
You should rinse your lettuce leaves and pat dry with paper towels before using them. Use a salad spinner if you have one. It is also important to wash fresh herbs. You can rinse small bunches under cold running water, and then pat them dry. If you are using a lot of herbs, you can fill the sink with cold water and wash them gently in there. Spin them dry in a salad spinner, or blot them dry with paper towels.
If you want to toss your salad greens with dressing, you can put the greens in a plastic bag, add the dressing, and then shake it in the bag. This combines the greens with the dressing without making a mess. Do not add the dressing until you are ready to serve the salad though.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3325 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3291 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2409 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)