Popular Types of Salad Dressing Recipes
Salad dressings fall into three basic categories and those are creamy dressings, non-creamy dressings (like vinaigrette) and cooked dressings, but these are very loose definitions and there are literally hundreds of ways to make a wonderful salad dressing.
Salad Dressing and Mayonnaise
Store-bought salad dressing has a cooked base and contains at least 30% vegetable oil, 4% egg yolk, lemon juice or vinegar, and spices. The flavor is more piquant than mayonnaise, which is a creamy, smooth mixture made of 65% vegetable oil, eggs, vinegar or lemon juice, and spices, and you can use either of these as a base for your own salad dressing recipes if you do not want to make them from scratch.
Some people like to stir a pinch of curry powder or tomato concentrate into mayonnaise to make a salad dressing but you can make a fresher-flavored dressing by making it yourself.
Well-Known Salad Dressings
Blue cheese dressing might feature vinegar, salt, pepper, sweeteners and Worcestershire sauce, for a thick, rich consistency. Use any kind of blue cheese, such as Roquefort or Gorgonzola. This dressing is amazing with Buffalo chicken wings or a green salad.
Buttermilk dressing is thick, smooth, and mildly seasoned. You can make different varieties, like chive, onion, or bacon, and sour cream might be used in such a recipe too. Caesar dressing is another popular one and this wonderful dressing features garlic, anchovy, and Romano cheese.
French dressing is zesty, spicy, and tangy, and is based on vinaigrette, an oil, and vinegar mixture. The name used to refer to vinaigrette made with oil and vinegar only, but modern French dressing contains tomato and is great for dipping vegetables, spreading on sandwiches or drizzling over your favorite salad recipe. In Switzerland “French dressing” refers to a white, creamy dressing however.
Italian dressing contains garlic, red pepper and perhaps other Italian flavors like parmesan cheese and oregano. It also features oil and vinegar, and is easily pourable. Green goddess dressing is thick, green and creamy. It contains garlic, chives, tarragon, and anchovy. Russian dressing is made with oil, vinegar and tomato, as well as optional flavors like honey, chili, or steak sauce. It is thick but pourable.
Thousand Island salad dressing is thick and sweet. It contains mayonnaise as well as lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, orange juice, chili sauce, Tabasco sauce, ketchup, cream, or a combination of these flavors. It might also feature finely chopped egg, chives, garlic, olives, onions, bell peppers, or pickles.
The Best-Loved Dressing in America
Ranch dressing is America’s favorite dressing and this condiment is made with yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, garlic, green onion and other seasonings. It might contain some or all of those ingredients and it has been the best-selling salad dressing in the United States since 1992, selling even more than Italian dressing.
Ranch dressing is versatile and can also be served as a dipping sauce. 94% of the calories in ranch dressing come from fat, so you might prefer to make your own healthy version of this flavorful salad dressing recipe. You can make your own version of any bottled salad dressing, and the resulting mixture is sure to taste fresher and better than anything readymade.
The smiling girl enjoying this homemade salad proves that you are never too young to enjoy a tasty salad recipe. Salads for kids and adults are often slightly different though, and a lot of kids would not enjoy sharp or tangy flavors. To make your salad recipes kid-friendly, try adding plenty of fruit, as well as using a creamy or fruity salad dressing recipe. Grated carrot, grated cheese, tomatoes, pineapple chunks, nuts, and raisins are just a few ingredients that most kids would be happy to find in their bowl of salad, and you will be happy about them getting their nutrients.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8810 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3322 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3128 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2643 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2511 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2400 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2368 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2325 Views)