Five Favorite Types of Salad Dressings
There is a multitude of salad dressing. Use mayonnaise by itself or use it as a base for other types of dressings. The perfect mayonnaise is creamy and smooth, composed of eggs, vegetable oil, a light spice, and an acid such as lemon juice or vinegar. Most people want more flavor than that offered by mayonnaise. Five of the favorite dressings are no surprise, but great to remember when you are out to eat and want to try something different to dress the salad.
Blue Cheese dressing is made by adding chunks or crumbles of blue cheese dressing to a creamy base. Other things that make the dressing unique include sweeteners, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar. The sweet and tart flavors blend well with the musky cheese.
Cole Slaw dressing, yet another sweet and tart blend, provides satisfaction in the mixture. The recipe uses mild kinds of spice and sweeteners add pleasure to the palate. The thick, creamy texture draws in moisture from the shredded cabbage without thinning down.
French dressing comes in two styles, both delicious. The tangy tomato zesty style needs shaken before use because the oil and vinegar separate. Creamy French dressing, on the other hand, has a creamy sweet taste and thicker base.
Thousand Island dressing, an extremely popular dressing, begins with a creamy base and is build up with tomato products, pickle relish, onion, eggs, garlic, and finely chopped celery. It is sweet and very thick.
Buttermilk dressing, also creamy, has a mild seasoning. It starts with a buttermilk base. Some of the favorite ingredients include chives, bacon bits, onion, and garlic.
Any dressing can build to expand flavor and variety. It is best to take a small portion of the original dressing and add a like portion of desired ingredients, allowing a blending time of at least five hours to determine the results.
Make Your Own Salad Dressings
Making your own dressing without following a recipe is easier than you might think, especially if you make something really basic, using just two or three different ingredients. Press some garlic through a garlic press and stir this into mayonnaise for an easy garlic mayonnaise, or aioli as it is also known. Use as much garlic as you like and add a squeeze of lemon juice to balance out the flavor, and some salt and black pepper too if you like.
You can also add mustard to mayonnaise for a mustard dressing, curry powder for a curry dressing, oregano, and basil for a creamy Italian dressing, or any herb or spice you want. It is very difficult to mess up such a dressing, and you can choose from regular mayonnaise, reduced-fat mayonnaise, or even sour cream or plain yogurt. Another option is to combine extra-virgin olive oil with a little vinegar and add a pinch of your favorite dried herb, perhaps matching the herb you choose to the style of the salad you are making the dressing for.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 01-28-16
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3324 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3290 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)