What Is In Recipes for Greek Salad Dressing
Amazing as it seems, Greek Salad Dressing is very simple, yet tasty. Put away the mayonnaise and pick up some whole lemons, red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and oregano. Some of the green salads need just a bit of red wine vinegar and a sprinkle of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Two acids combined for one dressing seem strange, but they actually create a great taste. Of course, Feta cheese and Kalamata olives add delicious flavor whether they are part of the salad or served on a separate plate.
Vinegar and oil also makes a favorite dressing for Greek salads. A pinch of fresh crushed oregano creates a subtle flavor as only oregano can do. Balsamic vinegar has a less tangy taste that red wine vinegar and some days you may decide to change the dressing with just that touch. Some traditional Greeks insist that the salad, comprised of olives, sliced red onion, crumbled feta cheese, capers, vine-ripened tomatoes and cucumber, is the featured item and olive oil is the perfect accompaniment.
Exactly how can just a few ingredients make such a delicious dressing? It is the important things, like the freshness of vegetables and quality of vinegar and oil. Most of us have prepared something at one time or another and found it to be superior to typical results. The difference is usually a better cut of meat, fresher vegetables, or perhaps fresh spices from our own herb garden. Dyosmos, the Greek name for spearmint, is one of the best types of mint in Greece and adds a surprising freshness to salads. Celebrate international recipes and summer salads with a Greek salad soon.
Different Types of Greek Salad
Although the term “Greek salad recipe” is used in the United States, South Africa, Australia, and the UK to refer to a lettuce salad with Greek inspired ingredients, the typical salad you would get in Greece is a bit different. Cucumber, bell peppers, dolmades (stuffed vine leaves), and sardines, anchovies, pepperoncini, and radishes are common in traditional Greek salads, as are pickled chilies. Greek salads even vary throughout the United States. In Tampa Bay you often get a potato salad served with your Greek salad, and in Detroit the salad usually includes beets.
More Salads from Greece
Lettuce, onion, cabbage, and dill are combined to make a lettuce salad in Greece. This salad is dressed with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. Another typical salad in Greece features boiled and sliced beets, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Arugula salad is another popular dish and this is dressed with red wine vinegar or lemon juice, olive oil and sometimes anchovies. Greek potato salad contains finely sliced onions, olive oil and either vinegar or lemon juice. There is also parsley salad, which is served as a condiment, and chickpea salad.
A Cypriot salad is made with cucumber, capers, finely chopped tomatoes, flat-leaf parsley, onions, and feta cheese. It is dressed with olive oil, and either red wine vinegar or lemon juice. Greek salad recipes tend to feature locally-grown fresh produce and the dressings are often a combination of oil and either vinegar or citrus juice, which brings out the flavors of the fresh vegetables. You can take inspiration from any of these typical Greek recipes to make your own mouthwatering Mediterranean salad recipe.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8830 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3324 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3290 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3130 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2646 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2513 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2437 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2402 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2370 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2328 Views)