Different Kinds of Salad Recipes Around the World
Salad is eaten in every country, although there are lots of variations. Pasta, potatoes, rice, meat, fish, vegetables, seafood, and fruit are all possible salad ingredients. Some countries favor basic salad recipes, and other countries prefer elaborate ones, or spicy salads. Entrée-size salads are popular in hot countries as well as in some cooler ones.
There are too many international salads to list here, but an overview is interesting. Perhaps some of the following international salad recipes will inspire you to make them.
Exotic Salads from Asia
Gado-gado is a popular salad in Indonesia which is made from vegetables, and served with a peanut sauce dressing. Acar is served all over Asia and this salad is made from cabbage, carrots and yard-long beans, as well as ground peanuts, dried chilies and vinegar.
Meat salad is found in Thailand and Laos and this might feature chicken, duck, pork, fish, turkey, or beef. The salad is flavored with herbs, lime juice and fish sauce.
Central and South American Salads
Chilean vegetable salad contains onion, tomato, olive oil, cilantro, and sometimes chilies. Curtido is a lightly fermented cabbage relish which is popular in Central America.
Lima bean salad, which is often served with ceviche (marinated fish), is made with lima beans, tomatoes, onion, lime juice, parsley, olive oil, and vinegar.
European Salad Recipes
Greek salad is made with tomato, bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, feta cheese, and kalamata olives. It is dressed with olive oil and seasoned with salt, black pepper, and dried oregano. Shopska salad is made with roasted bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, and sirene, which is a white brine cheese. Shopska salad is common in Bulgaria.
Urnebes is eaten in Serbia, and this contains hot chilies, salt and pavlaka, which is a dairy product made by souring heavy cream. Mesclun in French and this is traditionally made with equal amounts of leafy lettuce, endive, arugula, and chervil, although the word “mesclun” often refers to any mixture of salad greens.
In Germany, Austria, Alsace, and Switzerland, wurstsalat is popular. This is made with sausage, oil, onions, and vinegar, and has a very tart flavor.
International Potato Salad Recipes
Potato salad is an interesting dish because there are so many versions. German potato salad, for example, is made with oil and vinegar. In the United States, potato salad is often made with mayonnaise or sour cream instead. Some countries like to add mustard to their potato salad recipes.
International Salad Dressings
Salad dressings are just as varied as salads are. In the West, there are three main types of salad dressing. One type is vinaigrette, which is an olive oil and vinegar combination, sometimes flavored with herbs, spices or other ingredients. The second type is creamy dressings. These are often based on mayonnaise, but might instead feature crème fraîche, milk, buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt, or a mixture of these. The third type is cooked dressings. These are similar to creamy dressings but are usually thickened with egg yolks.
The most popular dressing in the United States is ranch dressing. Caesar dressing and vinaigrette is also popular. In France, mustard-based vinaigrette is the most common.
Mayonnaise is the most common in Russia and Eastern Europe. Crème fraîche dressings are popular in Denmark. In the south of Europe, oil and vinegar and served separately and diners dress their own salad with these. Fish sauce, sesame oil, citrus juice, and soy sauce are often used to make Asian salad dressings…
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8810 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3322 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3128 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2643 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2511 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2400 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2368 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2325 Views)