Useful Salad Cooking Tips for Heavenly Salads
There is more to how to make salad than arranging a leaf of lettuce and half a tomato on a plate. Salad can be served as an accompaniment to a meal or as the meal itself. You can use many different ingredients when cooking salads, such as meat, fish, vegetables, grains, and fruits. There are thousands of delicious salad recipes to try but for the very best salad results, here are a few handy salad-cooking tips:
Mix and Match Textures and Colors
Salads are very versatile and the fact that you can mix up the textures makes salad even more appealing. You can include soft, hard, crispy, crunchy, warm, and cold ingredients when making salad. If you want to serve, for example, egg mayonnaise, you might like to combine the softness of the eggs and mayonnaise with the warmness, and crispiness of some fried, crumbled bacon on top. Do not be afraid to mix warm and cold ingredients. Warm chicken is wonderful on a cold mixed leaf base. Salad ingredients come in all colors from yellow to red to green to purple and more. Salads do not have to be all green and look truly appetizing when you use different colors.
Using Pasta and Rice when Cooking Salad
Cook both pasta and rice very al dente when you are using them to make salads. This will allow it to absorb some of the dressing without becoming mushy. Cool to at least room temperature before adding any vegetables or herbs so they do not wilt. Remember that both pasta and rice are very filling so be careful about serving sizes unless people are helping themselves.
Cooking Potatoes for Making Salad
If you are making potato salad, new potatoes are the best variety to use. If these are not available, you can use boiling potatoes. Do not cook the potatoes too long else they will crumble. When they are only just tender, this is enough. Add the dressing when the potatoes are hot so they absorb more of the dressing flavor, then refrigerate immediately. Potato salad is delicious if you add finely chopped raw onion for flavor or a handful of grated cheese. This also keeps well in the refrigerator for several days.
Salad Dressing Tips
You can use store-bought dressings but it is much more fun to make your own! Mix some fruit juice, such as pineapple, mango, or orange, with vegetable oil, honey, and nutmeg to make a tangy dressing. For a quick avocado dressing, mix together half an avocado with some vinaigrette in the blender. Dressing is to flavor and moisten food, not to drown it, so do not add too much! Match the dressing with the salad. A fragrant leaf salad is suited to a delicate herby dressing. A heavy blue cheese or tangy tomato dressing is better for a richer salad which can stand up to the stronger flavor.
Other Salad Making Tips
Tear greens rather than cutting them with a knife because cutting them makes them go brown. You can make a tossed salad up to a day in advance of serving it but if you are adding chopped tomatoes, add these just before serving so it does not go soggy. Before serving your salad, chill the serving plates because this will keep the salad crisp.
Cooking salad recipes can be great fun. The more salads you make, the more you will learn yourself about which ingredients go well together and how salad recipes can be altered slightly for a completely new flavor.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16845 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8801 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3319 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3287 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3125 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2640 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2510 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2405 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2398 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2367 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2324 Views)