How to Make Tuna Salad Like a Pro
Tuna salad is usually combination of canned tuna, relish or celery, and mayonnaise or a similar creamy dressing. You can add onion or hard-boiled egg if you like.
If you want to know how to make tuna salad in five minutes, forget the hard-boiled egg and mash a drained can of tuna with a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise and some relish. Spread this over a slice of bread and top it with another slice of bread to make a delicious tuna salad sandwich.
Capers are sometimes good in the tuna mayonnaise mixture, as are corn kernels, diced bell pepper, or diced cucumber. You can mash anything you like into your homemade tuna salad recipes. You can even stir the tuna salad with pasta to make a tuna pasta salad recipe. Use your judgment to get the quantities and ratios right.
How to Serve It
Serve tuna salad on a bed of lettuce, along with avocado, tomato or grated cheese if you like. There is a famous Belgian recipe called “peches au thon” or “perziken met tonijn” which is made by stuffing peach halves with tuna salad. You can use an ice cream scoop to make attractive shapes or you can make sandwiches with the tuna salad, perhaps adding a lettuce leaf or a slice of pineapple too.
Tuna is a great source of protein and it makes a healthy salad. If you want to learn how to make a tuna salad which is extra healthy, switch half the mayonnaise (or all of it) for a reduced fat yogurt dressing.
More Tuna Salad Recipe Ideas
What about spicing your tuna salad recipe up by adding some hot sauce to the mixture, or grinding some chili powder into it? Go easy on the spices though, and taste as you go, because you will not want to make it too hot. A splash of Worcestershire sauce also works, or you could add a little ketchup to mayonnaise or sour cream, for a tangy pink dressing which will suit the flavor of the tuna and also complement the other flavors in the tuna salad.
You can even make an oriental tuna salad recipe by adding noodles or rice to the tuna, as well as a soy sauce and sesame oil dressing, plus perhaps some well-drained pineapple tidbits. For a south of the border flavor try jalapenos, lime juice (with or without mayonnaise), and maybe some sliced black olives. A handful of grated Mexican blend cheese is amazing in a tuna salad recipe as well, or you can use another kind of cheese, either powdered, grated or finely diced so it blends into the mixture properly. Mozzarella is good, or maybe the sharpness of cheddar offers what you want from your tuna salad.
Salmon Salad as an Alternative
If you are a fan of tuna salad, then you might like to try salmon salad for a change. Simply switch the canned tuna for canned pink salmon and make the rest of the recipe the same. Salmon is especially good with cucumber though, so you might want to add some diced cucumber to the mixture. You could also mix it with pasta or rice to make the salad go further.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 01-28-16
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cobb Salad with a Mexican Seafood Twist May 9, 2016
- Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad April 24, 2016
- Classic Potato and Egg Salad with Chives April 15, 2016
- Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Kalamata Olives April 1, 2016
- Chipotle Ranch Potato Salad with Sausage and Corn March 26, 2016
- Mexican Rice Salad with Tuna and Vegetables March 21, 2016
- Vegetarian Summer Five Bean Salad March 13, 2016
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Baby Spinach March 6, 2016
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Tuna February 28, 2016
- Simple Chopped Egg Salad Recipe February 21, 2016
- Home (16847 Views)
- Lobster Seafood Salad Recipe with Green Onions (8812 Views)
- An Easy Grilled Bean Salad Recipe (3322 Views)
- Warm Grilled Veggie Salad (3288 Views)
- Grilled Pineapple Salad (3128 Views)
- Sweet and Spicy Thai Grilled Vegetables Salad (2644 Views)
- Super-Easy Recipe Four Bean Salad with a Lemon Dressing (2511 Views)
- Asparagus Salad Recipe with Eggplant and Bell Pepper (2435 Views)
- Warm Chicken Breast for Salads Recipes (2407 Views)
- Marinated Chicken Salad with Eggplant (2400 Views)
- Grilled Salad Recipe with Halloumi Cheese (2368 Views)
- Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper Salad (2326 Views)